A Fossil-Fuel Free Europe by 2050?
The European Commission said that to meet climate goals by midcentury, gasoline- and diesel-run cars must disappear from cities. Its new goals to cut oil use are the world's most ambitious.
What will it take for Europe to meet its own energy goals? New technology and urban development must ease the need for fossil-fuel powered cars. "Michael Replogle, global policy director and founder of the Institute for Transportation and Development Policy, said the European Commission is well-positioned to deal with the patchwork of policies between countries. Truckers, for example, face different fees—and even different kinds of tolling machines—each time they cross a border. 'The Germans use one system; the French use another system; the Swiss, who are not part of the European Commission, use yet another system,' he said."
It's the first time the association hasn't hired a comedian in 16 years.
- The 2018 WHCA ended in controversy after comedian Michelle Wolf made jokes some considered to be offensive.
- The WHCA apologized for Wolf's jokes, though some journalists and many comedians backed the comedian and decried arguments in favor of limiting the types of speech permitted at the event.
- Ron Chernow, who penned a bestselling biography of Alexander Hamilton, will speak at next year's dinner.
Progressive America would be half as big, but twice as populated as its conservative twin.
- America's two political tribes have consolidated into 'red' and 'blue' nations, with seemingly irreconcilable differences.
- Perhaps the best way to stop the infighting is to go for a divorce and give the two nations a country each
- Based on the UN's partition plan for Israel/Palestine, this proposal provides territorial contiguity and sea access to both 'red' and 'blue' America
A study on flies may hold the key to future addiction treatments.
- A new study suggests that drinking alcohol can affect how memories are stored away as good or bad.
- This may have drastic implications for how addiction is caused and how people recall intoxication.
- The findings may one day lead to a new form of treatment for those suffering from addiction.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.