A Fossil-Fuel Free Europe by 2050?
The European Commission said that to meet climate goals by midcentury, gasoline- and diesel-run cars must disappear from cities. Its new goals to cut oil use are the world's most ambitious.
What will it take for Europe to meet its own energy goals? New technology and urban development must ease the need for fossil-fuel powered cars. "Michael Replogle, global policy director and founder of the Institute for Transportation and Development Policy, said the European Commission is well-positioned to deal with the patchwork of policies between countries. Truckers, for example, face different fees—and even different kinds of tolling machines—each time they cross a border. 'The Germans use one system; the French use another system; the Swiss, who are not part of the European Commission, use yet another system,' he said."
Swipe right to make the connections that could change your career.
Swipe right. Match. Meet over coffee or set up a call.
No, we aren't talking about Tinder. Introducing Shapr, a free app that helps people with synergistic professional goals and skill sets easily meet and collaborate.
The history of the Geneva Conventions tells us how the international community draws the line on brutality.
- Henry Dunant's work led to the Red Cross and conventions on treating prisoners humanely.
- Four Geneva Conventions defined the rules for prisoners of war, torture, naval and medical personnel and more.
- Amendments to the agreements reflect the modern world but have not been ratified by all countries.
Meanwhile, Spaniards are the least likely to say their culture is superior to others.
- Survey by Pew Research Center shows great variation in chauvinism across Europe.
- Eight most chauvinist countries are in the east, and include Russia.
- British much more likely than French (and slightly more likely than Germans) to say their culture is "superior" to others.
The Green New Deal is an ambitious attempt to fight climate change, but is it destined to hit the political skids?
- Recent protests by the Sunrise Movement have taken the Green New Deal from forgotten policy to trending hashtag.
- The Green New Deal aims to move the U.S. to 100% renewable energy within a decade.
- Proponents also hope to catalyze a top-down restructuring of the U.S. economy and advance social justice issues.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.