A major earthquake north of Concepcion, Chile has disrupted communication and electricity infrastructure though President Bachelet says emergency response is proceeding as planned.
A major earthquake north of Concepcion, Chile has disrupted communication and electricity infrastructure though President Bachelet says emergency response is proceeding as planned. "The quake struck at 0634 GMT about 91km (56 miles) north-east of the city of Concepcion and 317km south-west of the capital, Santiago. President Michelle Bachelet also said a large wave had affected one southern island group and she appealed for the Chilean people to remain calm.
The US issued an initial tsunami warning for Chile, Peru and Ecuador. That was later extended to Colombia, Antarctica and Central America. Japan's meteorological agency warned of a potential tsunami across large areas of the Pacific. Santiago airport has been closed and all flights cancelled until further notice, airline officials say. President Bachelet called on people to remain calm and contact the authorities if they needed help. She said a "wave of large proportion" had affected the Juan Fernandez island group, reaching halfway into one inhabited area.
She said if there were more aftershocks, people in coastal areas should go to higher ground.
Ms Bachelet warned people not to travel on roads in affected areas as a number of bridges were down.
Chilean officials said the worst affected town appeared to be Parral, close to the epicentre.
Chilean television said there had been a fire involving chemicals in the town of Colina, 20km north of Santiago, but that it was now under control.
Several hospitals have had to be evacuated in a number of areas, including Santiago, because of structural damage. Many of Chile's news websites and radio stations are still not accessible."
- The meaning of the word 'confidence' seems obvious. But it's not the same as self-esteem.
- Confidence isn't just a feeling on your inside. It comes from taking action in the world.
- Join Big Think Edge today and learn how to achieve more confidence when and where it really matters.
If you're lacking confidence and feel like you could benefit from an ego boost, try writing your life story.
In truth, so much of what happens to us in life is random – we are pawns at the mercy of Lady Luck. To take ownership of our experiences and exert a feeling of control over our future, we tell stories about ourselves that weave meaning and continuity into our personal identity.
The controversial herbicide is everywhere, apparently.
- U.S. PIRG tested 20 beers and wines, including organics, and found Roundup's active ingredient in almost all of them.
- A jury on August 2018 awarded a non-Hodgkin's lymphoma victim $289 million in Roundup damages.
- Bayer/Monsanto says Roundup is totally safe. Others disagree.
- Prejudice is typically perpetrated against 'the other', i.e. a group outside our own.
- But ageism is prejudice against ourselves — at least, the people we will (hopefully!) become.
- Different generations needs to cooperate now more than ever to solve global problems.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.