Evolution made Self-Aware
BY JASON SILVA
Physicist Freeman Dyson has spoken of a new "Age of Wonder" centered on computers and biology. He has artfully articulated that in the near future "a new generation of artists will be writing genomes with the fluency that Blake and Byron wrote verses."
What I find the most astonishing about this statement is the implication that biology itself is now seen as a canvas subject to aesthetic design- it implies that mankind will apply the intentions of his mind to influence the unfolding of biological processes. Think about this for a second. Evolution itself has just evolved and become self-aware.
The following video offers my take on stem-cell research, which I believe is a hugely important step towards mastering the information processes of our biology:
Jason Silva is a Fellow of the Hybrid Reality Institute.
A new study estimated the untapped potential of wind energy across Europe.
- A new report calculated how much electricity Europe could generate if it built onshore wind farms on all of its exploitable land.
- The results indicated that European onshore wind farms could supply the whole world with electricity from now until 2050.
- Wind farms come with a few complications, but the researchers noted that their study was meant to highlight the untapped potential of the renewable energy source in Europe.
Scientists make an important discovery for the future of computing.
- Researchers find a new state of matter called "topological superconductivity".
- The state can lead to important advancements in quantum computing.
- Utilizing special particles that emerge during this state can lead to error-free data storage and blazing calculation speed.
You want one. Now you may be able to survive one.
Photo credit: Jie Zhao / Getty contributor
- Cats live in a quarter of Western households.
- Allergies to them are common and can be dangerous.
- A new approach targets the primary trouble-causing allergen.