Humans are not Machines
Many modern scientists think humans are just "biological machines". If we are just machines then we should not be able to conceptualize us as being anything else than machines, we would have never thought of things like soul or free will. Also, I don't think we could understand anything. A computer can be programmed to act as though it understands patterns and trends, but it can never get that feeling of understanding. I'm not sure if all this is true, its just some arguments against Nihilism. I'm not arguing for an religion (I like Buddhism, its thats a very personal relgion), I just want people to see that there's other beliefs than the sheer Nihilism that too many people are starting to accept.
New research links urban planning and political polarization.
- Canadian researchers find that excessive reliance on cars changes political views.
- Decades of car-centric urban planning normalized unsustainable lifestyles.
- People who prefer personal comfort elect politicians who represent such views.
Progressive America would be half as big, but twice as populated as its conservative twin.
- America's two political tribes have consolidated into 'red' and 'blue' nations, with seemingly irreconcilable differences.
- Perhaps the best way to stop the infighting is to go for a divorce and give the two nations a country each
- Based on the UN's partition plan for Israel/Palestine, this proposal provides territorial contiguity and sea access to both 'red' and 'blue' America
Science and the squishiness of the human mind. The joys of wearing whatever the hell you want, and so much more.
- Why can't we have a human-sized cat tree?
- What would happen if you got a spoonful of a neutron star?
- Why do we insist on dividing our wonderfully complex selves into boring little boxes
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.