Huckabee and the Evangelical right
After one of Mike Huckabee's speeches I was absolutely floored. The man said that the constitution was easier to change than the word of god and that we need to bring those morals into the government legislation. He refereed to the constitution as a modern document, implying that it was a liberal tool that was against religion. Is this man serious??? The constitution, which has served the country for over 2 centuries, was INTENDED to separate the church and the state because this country was founded on the beliefs of religious freedom. How can a man call himself a true American when he consistently contradicts one of the most basic fundamentals of the forming of the United States. Our government is NOT run based on the Bible. How can so many people continue to believe that this man and root for this man! This causes me great concern. The majority of the country seems to have forgotten the lessons of 7th grade American History. Everyone knows we need change but a farther diversion from the basic foundation of our country will only send us farther away from a true democracy and into a complete state of disarray. I am becoming more and more worried as the days go on that the constitution and all the brilliant work and effort that has gone into it is being torn apart and trampled by those who believe they must enforce their beliefs on everyones lives. It is oppression, in all senses of the word. and it scares me that these people will fool too many people into believing they know what they are talking about.
Giving our solar system a "slap in the face"
- A stream of galactic debris is hurtling at us, pulling dark matter along with it
- It's traveling so quickly it's been described as a hurricane of dark matter
- Scientists are excited to set their particle detectors at the onslffaught
We know the dangers of too little sleep. Now for the other side of the story.
- Western University researchers found that sleeping over eight hours per night results in cognitive decline.
- Oversleepers suffer similar difficulties on certain cognitive tests as those who sleep under seven hours.
- Not all the news is bad: One night of oversleeping results in a cognitive boost.
Firefighters in California are still struggling to contain several wildfires nearly one week after they broke out.
- Hundreds of people are still missing after three wildfires spread across Northern and Southern California last week.
- 48 of the 50 deaths occurred after the Camp Fire blazed through the town of Paradise, north of Sacramento.
- On Tuesday night, a fourth wildfire broke out, though it's mostly contained.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.