How To Weather A Storm
Funke Osibodu is the Chief Executive at Union Bank of Nigeria, one of Nigeria’s biggest banks. She studied economics at the University of Ife, now Obafemi Awolowo University, before completing the advanced management program at Harvard Business School. Her past leadership roles include a stint as chief executive at Vigeo Capital and head of the financial and investment division of Vigeo Group, a diversified conglomerate with interests in energy, shipping and financial services. She was also the managing director of MBC and Ecobank.
You control the way they think about things. So when they knew the real state of the organization quite a number of people were the ones coming up with the solution. And at some point we just sat back as executive management and allowed the people throughout the hierarchy to be the ones to go out and convince their colleagues, both those internal and external, that this is the true state of the affairs in the organization and this is the solution. So they had to take ownership. You first have to invest in the process. People will not believe you, but when you are consistent with it and you are open and truthful, and they can see it and cross-check on their own, then they start taking ownership. And that was a lot of what we had to do.
Malcolm Gladwell teaches "Get over yourself and get to work" for Big Think Edge.
- Learn to recognize failure and know the big difference between panicking and choking.
- At Big Think Edge, Malcolm Gladwell teaches how to check your inner critic and get clear on what failure is.
- Subscribe to Big Think Edge before we launch on March 30 to get 20% off monthly and annual memberships.
Turns out pushups are more telling than treadmill tests when it comes to cardiovascular health.
- Men who can perform 40 pushups in one minute are 96 percent less likely to have cardiovascular disease than those who do less than 10.
- The Harvard study focused on over 1,100 firefighters with a median age of 39.
- The exact results might not be applicable to men of other age groups or to women, researchers warn.
Do you have a magnetic compass in your head?
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.