Democrats Now Hate Taxes!
With low-income workers so squeezed in the new economy that affording the bus in the morning is proving a challenge, proposals abound for just how to make life a little bit easier for people the bottom tax bracket.
At the top of the list is the Schock-Minnick Bill, a bipartisan House proposal that would mandate a six-month payroll tax reprieve that could affect more than 60 million workers with gross incomes under $40,000.
A tax break from FICA obligations--the primary vehicle for channeling funds to Social Security and Medicare--would grant low-income workers more money at the end of the month and let small businesses allocate more capital to day-to-day expenses. With seven out of 10 American workers employed by small businesses the benefits could be far-reaching.
Still tax cut proponents see more direct ways to stimulate the economy, namely by reforming the marginal rate policy and reducing corporate tax obligations. Director of Tax Policy at Americans for Tax Reform Ryan Ellis had measured enthusiasm for a payroll tax holiday saying today in a telephone conversation that "all tax cuts are good but some are better than others."
The payroll tax holiday stands uniquely as one tax cut with strong bipartisan support. Republicans approve of the money saved and Democrats like that fact that low wage earners will be most affected.
- The meaning of the word 'confidence' seems obvious. But it's not the same as self-esteem.
- Confidence isn't just a feeling on your inside. It comes from taking action in the world.
- Join Big Think Edge today and learn how to achieve more confidence when and where it really matters.
- Prejudice is typically perpetrated against 'the other', i.e. a group outside our own.
- But ageism is prejudice against ourselves — at least, the people we will (hopefully!) become.
- Different generations needs to cooperate now more than ever to solve global problems.
The controversial herbicide is everywhere, apparently.
- U.S. PIRG tested 20 beers and wines, including organics, and found Roundup's active ingredient in almost all of them.
- A jury on August 2018 awarded a non-Hodgkin's lymphoma victim $289 million in Roundup damages.
- Bayer/Monsanto says Roundup is totally safe. Others disagree.
The team caught a glimpse of a process that takes 18,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 years.
- In Italy, a team of scientists is using a highly sophisticated detector to hunt for dark matter.
- The team observed an ultra-rare particle interaction that reveals the half-life of a xenon-124 atom to be 18 sextillion years.
- The half-life of a process is how long it takes for half of the radioactive nuclei present in a sample to decay.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.