How can ANYONE dispute the fact that evolution existed?
How can anyone dispute the scientific facts that create a very conclusive argument that evolution did indeed exist? The only thing we as humans can possibly be sure of are scientific facts. We can not be sure that God exists, we can not be sure if there are other sentient beings in our universe and we can not be sure that Hillary Clinton is human. However, we can be sure that fossils have been found of species that resemble humans and share the same DNA as humans. The Earth is millions of years old. Humans were not around back then but other species were. 99% of all species to have ever existed are now extinct. The Bible talks nothing about these species or the fact that the Earth is so old. Evolution did exist and ignoring facts will not grant you a ticket to Heaven any faster than acknowledging the truth.
Malcolm Gladwell teaches "Get over yourself and get to work" for Big Think Edge.
- Learn to recognize failure and know the big difference between panicking and choking.
- At Big Think Edge, Malcolm Gladwell teaches how to check your inner critic and get clear on what failure is.
- Subscribe to Big Think Edge before we launch on March 30 to get 20% off monthly and annual memberships.
Neuroscience research suggests it might be time to rethink our ideas about when exactly a child becomes an adult.
- Research suggests that most human brains take about 25 years to develop, though these rates can vary among men and women, and among individuals.
- Although the human brain matures in size during adolescence, important developments within the prefrontal cortex and other regions still take pace well into one's 20s.
- The findings raise complex ethical questions about the way our criminal justice systems punishes criminals in their late teens and early 20s.
Does believing in true love make people act like jerks?
- Ghosting, or cutting off all contact suddenly with a romantic partner, is not nice.
- Growth-oriented people (who think relationships are made, not born) do not appreciate it.
- Destiny-oriented people (who believe in soulmates) are more likely to be okay with ghosting.
Archeologists had been doubtful since no such ship had ever been found.
- In 450 BCE, Greek historian Herodotus described a barge that's never been found.
- When the ancient port of Thonis-Heracleion was discovered, some 70 sunken ships were found resting in its waters.
- One boat, Ship 17, uncannily matches the Herodotus' description.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.