Happiness & Materialism
The recession may be actually positive for America.
I’ve have been shocked and beaten down from life. Life is unexpected twist of events that can alter our thinking and behavior. I wasn’t prepared to deal with my father death but, I had too. I wasn’t prepared for a lot of events in my life but, I conquered them and learned from it. I learnt that you can’t be too comfortable with your state of living don’t get too attached to how things are now. Don’t have that feeling run your life though, know it is okay to deal with challenges. Where would we be as people with some suffering? The pain and suffering make us who we are it shows us what is really important in life. Don’t have material items make your happiness they are only temporary feelings. The brain releases endorphin which makes you feel excited and happy. Your contentment should be able to do without ipods, and other material items. You see people in 3rd world countries living simple lives and happier than people with all the riches in the world. You’re sitting on a Persian silk rug until life rips that rug right from under you. I think a little suffering can help most people realize what they can do without with. Suffering cuts the middle man and goes straight to the source of the problem. You see in a different light and the whole entire world makes sense when you have what you need to survive. Western civilization is always about MORE MORE and MORE and wealth. We are so accustomed to living a certain way we forgot how we were when life was so simple. Thorstein Veblen’s book The Theory of the Leisure Class he spoke about Conspicuous consumption which means purchasing items to display wealth and a higher social class. The one of the ills of America is that we are obsessed with becoming rich and not working hard to achieve it. There is always a commercial on television about real estate gimmicks that will have you getting checks in the mail for thousands of dollars. I think this recession is one of the best things to happen to America because we need to be pushed to the edge a little to realize how we are overspending and not making good decisions. Times are hard in America not as hard as the citizens in Zimbabwe where the currency is almost worthless due to hyperinflation and they are printing out $100 trillion dollar bills. Companies are laying people off firing workers to save money. Businesses like Circuit City are closing down and people are now realizing we have a financial problem. This recession isn’t permanent and America will prevail but, this is a much needed waking up to the America.
Swipe right to make the connections that could change your career.
Swipe right. Match. Meet over coffee or set up a call.
No, we aren't talking about Tinder. Introducing Shapr, a free app that helps people with synergistic professional goals and skill sets easily meet and collaborate.
It's up to us humans to re-humanize our world. An economy that prioritizes growth and profits over humanity has led to digital platforms that "strip the topsoil" of human behavior, whole industries, and the planet, giving less and less back. And only we can save us.
- It's an all-hands-on-deck moment in the arc of civilization.
- Everyone has a choice: Do you want to try to earn enough money to insulate yourself from the world you're creating— or do you want to make the world a place you don't have to insulate yourself from?
A growing body of research shows promising signs that the keto diet might be able to improve mental health.
- The keto diet is known to be an effective tool for weight loss, however its effects on mental health remain largely unclear.
- Recent studies suggests that the keto diet might be an effective tool for treating depression, and clearing up so-called "brain fog," though scientists caution more research is necessary before it can be recommended as a treatment.
- Any experiments with the keto diet are best done in conjunction with a doctor, considering some people face problems when transitioning to the low-carb diet.
Upload your mind? Here's a reality check on the Singularity.
- Though computer engineers claim to know what human consciousness is, many neuroscientists say that we're nowhere close to understanding what it is, or its source.
- Scientists are currently trying to upload human minds to silicon chips, or re-create consciousness with algorithms, but this may be hubristic because we still know so little about what it means to be human.
- Is transhumanism a journey forward or an escape from reality?
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.