Good and Evil.. connect the dots...
We can connect the dots all the way back to when mankind codified good and evil. No god required.
Humans leave trails, it's called evidence. eg, Something as beautiful as music.. at a basic level we can trace it's development, it's evolution. The most complex 80 piece orchestral composition had it's seeds in the simple modal chants of Gregorian monks.
The development of notation and the codification of difficult concepts are all able to be traced back. The romantic, mystical and poetic dimensions to this art are ways we have of understanding how music makes us feel, tools to unwrap the riddle.
Likewise with philosophy and myth.. good and evil evolved as a concept from human experience. Ancient gods were utilitarian, and the ones that seemed to work best, ie. their followers seemed to prosper, attracted a bigger slice of the believer market. In the swill of ideas in the milennia before Christ, Yahweh beat out other popular gods like Baal and Mithras to gain more followers. Around that time the Iranian prophet Zoaroaster distilled the many gods idea down to two, truth and lie, or good and evil, this eventually syncretised into the Xtian version of understanding it of god and the devil.
The trail is there... follow it. There is no special case for Christ, it's just a prism through which to view the world that was built on existing ideas. The supernatural overlay is a poetic and romantic association attached to the idea, just as it is with music, and that is a human constuct as well.
Swipe right to make the connections that could change your career.
Swipe right. Match. Meet over coffee or set up a call.
No, we aren't talking about Tinder. Introducing Shapr, a free app that helps people with synergistic professional goals and skill sets easily meet and collaborate.
Is it "perverseness," the "death drive," or something else?
She met mere mortals with and without the Vatican's approval.
- For centuries, the Virgin Mary has appeared to the faithful, requesting devotion and promising comfort.
- These maps show the geography of Marian apparitions – the handful approved by the Vatican, and many others.
- Historically, Europe is where most apparitions have been reported, but the U.S. is pretty fertile ground too.
It's up to us humans to re-humanize our world. An economy that prioritizes growth and profits over humanity has led to digital platforms that "strip the topsoil" of human behavior, whole industries, and the planet, giving less and less back. And only we can save us.
- It's an all-hands-on-deck moment in the arc of civilization.
- Everyone has a choice: Do you want to try to earn enough money to insulate yourself from the world you're creating— or do you want to make the world a place you don't have to insulate yourself from?
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.