Genius series: Nikola Tesla, the original tech superstar
Big Think has launched a line of apparel and goods that celebrate the life and work of four geniuses. First up, Nikola Tesla.
- Big Think has just launched its Genius Series of tees, sweatshirts, posters and more! Buy here.
- First up, we're paying tribute to the original tech superstar, Nikola Tesla.
- Select Rush or Super Rush Delivery to get your order before Christmas Day!
I do not think there is any thrill that can go through the human heart like that felt by the inventor as he sees some creation of the brain unfolding to success. ... Such emotions make a man forget food, sleep, friends, love, everything.
– Nikola Tesla
Nikola Tesla was a pioneer scientist during the turn of the 20th century, best known for developing the technology our modern alternating current (AC) electricity supply system is based on. He was a prolific inventor and the ultimate mad scientist, holding 300 patents, speaking eight languages, and he was said to have a near-eidetic memory. Despite his era-shifting contributions to humanity and his bold visions for the future (he predicted the smartphone -- in 1926!), he died broke and alone in the New Yorker Hotel in 1943.
In the 1990s, Tesla was rescued from decades of obscurity by a wave of popular interest. Today, he is known as "the man who invented the 20th century," and his legacy has experienced a major resurgence—the name Tesla, as you might have heard, is way in vogue right now.
Check out the Nikola Tesla range of apparel and goods in Big Think's Genius Series.
Select Rush or Super Rush Delivery to get your order before Christmas Day!
Playing and being creative shouldn't stop when you grow up.
- Growing up doesn't mean your life has to be all about work.
- Studies have shown that playing and being creative has numerous health benefits for adults of all ages.
- Simple exercises like drawing, finishing a puzzle, or taking breaks outdoors can have a positive impact on your life.
Future-proof your brain with this cognitive care package.
- Human memory relies on the coordination of multiple brain regions, each of which is subject to demise as we age.
- A variety of games and actionable methods can help keep our memory strong.
- Learning new skills is an important component of keeping our memory sharp into our later years
Mondly makes it easy and fun to learn any of the app's 33 languages.
- One of the best ways to ensure cognitive health is by new acquiring skills, such as learning a new language.
- Learning a language may help your mind stay sharp as you age.
- The best way to learn is to constantly practice speaking with others.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.