Genius series: Nikola Tesla, the original tech superstar
Big Think has launched a line of apparel and goods that celebrate the life and work of four geniuses. First up, Nikola Tesla.
- Big Think has just launched its Genius Series of tees, sweatshirts, posters and more! Buy here.
- First up, we're paying tribute to the original tech superstar, Nikola Tesla.
- Select Rush or Super Rush Delivery to get your order before Christmas Day!
I do not think there is any thrill that can go through the human heart like that felt by the inventor as he sees some creation of the brain unfolding to success. ... Such emotions make a man forget food, sleep, friends, love, everything.
– Nikola Tesla
Nikola Tesla was a pioneer scientist during the turn of the 20th century, best known for developing the technology our modern alternating current (AC) electricity supply system is based on. He was a prolific inventor and the ultimate mad scientist, holding 300 patents, speaking eight languages, and he was said to have a near-eidetic memory. Despite his era-shifting contributions to humanity and his bold visions for the future (he predicted the smartphone -- in 1926!), he died broke and alone in the New Yorker Hotel in 1943.
In the 1990s, Tesla was rescued from decades of obscurity by a wave of popular interest. Today, he is known as "the man who invented the 20th century," and his legacy has experienced a major resurgence—the name Tesla, as you might have heard, is way in vogue right now.
Check out the Nikola Tesla range of apparel and goods in Big Think's Genius Series.
Select Rush or Super Rush Delivery to get your order before Christmas Day!
The most popular books of the past 125 years, and where to get them.
- New York Public library is celebrating its 125th birthday in 2020. With over 90 locations across New York City's boroughs, it is the nation's largest public library system.
- Based on circulation data, popularity, trends, and other criteria dating back to 1895, these books are considered the library's most checked-out titles of all time.
- "The Snowy Day" by Ezra Jack Keats was checked out 485,583 times and takes the top spot, but one librarian's hatred of another book may have robbed it of the crown.
Affordable and useful items that will make any trip go more smoothly.
Big Think has launched a line of apparel and goods that celebrate the life and work of four geniuses.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.