Free will or Determinism?
is it possilbe to choose what isnt already determined?
It is heavily prevelant in our culture today that people hold to beliefs that are crafted to their personal experience or is dictated by their peers. In the world today it seems that everyone can choose to belief what they want. This notion of subjective truth is all about comprimising and staying away from confrontation. But what if we would talk matters out? like Free will or Determinism?
Now choices are always made by us throughout the day, but it may not necessarily be by free will or liberal choice. There is almost always a determining factor that motivates our choices. Like if we grew up in an environment where in the neighborhood was defensive of violence, where a natural reflex is to dodge a bullet or thrown object in neighborhoods. then ten years down the road you find yourself at a park and someone toss a baseball at you, you may dodge the ball, not because you felt like it but by instinct it was a reflex.
With all that said it may be least likely to choose to do something without the outcome already being determined.
Firefighters in California are still struggling to contain several wildfires nearly one week after they broke out.
- Hundreds of people are still missing after three wildfires spread across Northern and Southern California last week.
- 48 of the 50 deaths occurred after the Camp Fire blazed through the town of Paradise, north of Sacramento.
- On Tuesday night, a fourth wildfire broke out, though it's mostly contained.
We know the dangers of too little sleep. Now for the other side of the story.
- Western University researchers found that sleeping over eight hours per night results in cognitive decline.
- Oversleepers suffer similar difficulties on certain cognitive tests as those who sleep under seven hours.
- Not all the news is bad: One night of oversleeping results in a cognitive boost.
Protected animals are feared to be headed for the black market.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.