Understanding the Vancouver Hockey Riots
As a native Vancouverite and a Canucks fan, I was heartbroken by the riots that followed Game 7 of the Stanley Cup final.
Dave Zirin of The Nation has a great analysis of the Vancouver hockey riot. Don't blame phantom anarchists, blame drunk gay-bashing thugs, exurban troublemakers, and the irresponsible vendors plying them with liquor in the Entertainment Zone.
I appreciate Zirin's shout out to the people who stepped up to contain and clean up the chaos, at some risk to themselves. The rioters don't represent Canucks fans or Vancouverites.
[Photo credit: Tristen.Pelton, Creative Commons. See the original photo here.]
We're more dependent on them than we realize.
- Scientists says our survival depends on biodiversity.
- A natural climate strategy we often forget.
- Seeing our place among the Earth's living creatures.
There's a high social cost that comes with lighting up.
While short-term results are positive, there is mounting evidence against staying in ketosis for too long.
- Recent studies showed volunteers lost equal or more weight on high-carb, calorie-restricted diets than low-carb, calorie restricted diets.
- There might be positive benefits to short-term usage of a ketogenic diet.
- One dietician warns that the ketogenic diet could put diabetics at risk for diabetic ketoacidosis.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.