Photos of Historic NYC Pride March
The 31st annual New York City Pride March was held just two days after Gov. Andrew Cuomo signed a bill making New York the sixth and largest state to achieve equal marriage. The firs marriage licenses for same-sex couples will be available on July 24.
Sex advice columnist Dan Savage and husband Terry Miller served as Grand Marshals of Sunday's parade, in honor of their spectacularly successful viral video campaign against LGBT youth suicide, "It Gets Better."
[Photo credit: Lindsay Beyerstein, All Rights Reserved.]
New research links urban planning and political polarization.
- Canadian researchers find that excessive reliance on cars changes political views.
- Decades of car-centric urban planning normalized unsustainable lifestyles.
- People who prefer personal comfort elect politicians who represent such views.
Progressive America would be half as big, but twice as populated as its conservative twin.
- America's two political tribes have consolidated into 'red' and 'blue' nations, with seemingly irreconcilable differences.
- Perhaps the best way to stop the infighting is to go for a divorce and give the two nations a country each
- Based on the UN's partition plan for Israel/Palestine, this proposal provides territorial contiguity and sea access to both 'red' and 'blue' America
Science and the squishiness of the human mind. The joys of wearing whatever the hell you want, and so much more.
- Why can't we have a human-sized cat tree?
- What would happen if you got a spoonful of a neutron star?
- Why do we insist on dividing our wonderfully complex selves into boring little boxes
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.