Ladies, Is Your Purse Strap Stoking Lust?
Sociological Images posted the results of the Modesty Survey a project of a Christian website where Christian girls quizzed 1500 Christian guys about their standards of modesty. Not guys' standards for their own dress and demeanor, mind you, just about the standards they use to judge women.
This survey just some thrown-together Quizilla poll. The creators of the Modestly Survey evidently went to considerable trouble and expense to compile this exhaustive questionnaire and display the results online.
The creators describe final product as a discussion rather than a scientific study. There's no particular reason to assume that the results are representative of any particular population, but it's interesting that someone undertook to compile an exhaustive compendium of male rules for female modesty.
Of course, the usual suspects like mini skirts and halter tops fell squarely on the whore side of the virgin/whore dichotomy for most respondents. The survey also threw some a few curves, or you might say a few curves threw some guys: Forty-eight percent of respondents agreed that "a purse with a strap across the chest draws too much attention to the bust." Thirty-nine percent believe that tights with patterns on them are immodest. Forty-four percent thought that decorative stitching on jean pockets was unduly provocative.
Instead of praying to God for guidance, young women are expected to follow the fashion edicts of random dudes on the internet. As far as the creators of this survey are concerned, modesty is about women's responsibility to police everything from their wardrobe to their walk, lest they lure a man into lust. The poll is really more of a brainstorming session to throw out as many lust-triggers as possible. If women don't know that purse straps are inspiring lust, they can't be blamed for flouncing about in such a state. But now they've been told, and knowledge equals guilt.
Some guys even think floral prints and lettered sweatshirts are for hussies. Just so you know.
Upvote/downvote each of the videos below!
As you vote, keep in mind that we are looking for a winner with the most engaging social venture pitch - an idea you would want to invest in.
Here are 7 often-overlooked World Heritage Sites, each with its own history.
- UNESCO World Heritage Sites are locations of high value to humanity, either for their cultural, historical, or natural significance.
- Some are even designated as World Heritage Sites because humans don't go there at all, while others have felt the effects of too much human influence.
- These 7 UNESCO World Heritage Sites each represent an overlooked or at-risk facet of humanity's collective cultural heritage.
Famous physicists like Richard Feynman think 137 holds the answers to the Universe.
- The fine structure constant has mystified scientists since the 1800s.
- The number 1/137 might hold the clues to the Grand Unified Theory.
- Relativity, electromagnetism and quantum mechanics are unified by the number.
A new method promises to capture an elusive dark world particle.
- Scientists working on the Large Hadron Collider (LHC) devised a method for trapping dark matter particles.
- Dark matter is estimated to take up 26.8% of all matter in the Universe.
- The researchers will be able to try their approach in 2021, when the LHC goes back online.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.