Keith Olbermann Suspended for Political Contributions
MSNBC host Keith Olbermann has been suspended indefinitely without pay after Politico reported that he made campaign contributions to progressive Democrats:
Olbermann made campaign contributions to two Arizona members of Congress and failed Kentucky Senate candidate Jack Conway ahead of Tuesday’s election.
Olbermann, who acknowledged the contributions in a statement to POLITICO, made the maximum legal donations of $2,400 apiece to Conway and to Arizona Reps. Raul Grijalva and Gabrielle Giffords. He donated to the Arizona pair on Oct. 28 — the same day that Grijalva appeared as a guest on Olbermann’s “Countdown” show. [POLITICO]
NBC News forbids journalists to donate to political campaigns. So, I guess they've got Olbermann dead to rights. What was he thinking? These donations are matters of public record. Anyone with an internet connection can find them at FEC.gov or OpenSecrets.
I hope MSNBC doesn't fire him over this. A brief unpaid suspension and a public apology would be a fair punishment.
Of course, the right wing will howl for Olbermann's termination. The GOP is ascendant and the blood is in the water.
Firing Olbermann would be a ridiculous overreaction. Nobody is under any illusions that Keith Olbermann is politically neutral. MSNBC hired him to be the liberal host of a liberal show. He's a pundit as well as a newsman.
Update: As kos points out, conservative MSNBC host Joe Scarborough is allowed to give to political candidates because he's classified as a commentator rather than as a journalist. Olbermann is an opinion journalist par excellence. His signature feature is called "Special Comment."
[Photo credit: Sqrpix, Creative Commons.]
A federal judge ruled that the Trump administration likely violated the reporter's Fifth Amendment rights when it stripped his press credentials earlier this month.
- Acosta will be allowed to return to the White House on Friday.
- The judge described the ruling as narrow, and didn't rule one way or the other on violations of the First Amendment.
- The case is still open, and the administration may choose to appeal the ruling.
Progressive America would be half as big, but twice as populated as its conservative twin.
- America's two political tribes have consolidated into 'red' and 'blue' nations, with seemingly irreconcilable differences.
- Perhaps the best way to stop the infighting is to go for a divorce and give the two nations a country each
- Based on the UN's partition plan for Israel/Palestine, this proposal provides territorial contiguity and sea access to both 'red' and 'blue' America
The definition of a kilogram will now be fixed to Planck's constant, a fundamental part of quantum physics.
- The new definition of a kilogram is based on a physical constant in quantum physics.
- Unlike the current definition of a kilogram, this measurement will never change.
- Scientists also voted to update the definitions of several other measurements in physics.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.