Candidate Visits Mailbox "HQ" of American Future Fund [Video]
Rep Bruce Braley (D-Ia) paid a visit to the "headquarters," of the American Future Fund, a shadowy 501(c)4 group that has spent nearly $1 million to defeat him in the upcoming election.
American Future Fund, a conservative nonprofit based in Des Moines, has repeatedly attacked Braley in the hopes of aiding his underfunded Republican opponent, Ben Lange. Because the group is organized as a 501(c)4 nonprofit, it does not have to disclose its donors. But it’s leadership is made up of prominent Iowa Republicans with ties to the presidential campaign of Mitt Romney and the gubernatorial campaign of Terry Branstad, as well as media consultants who played key roles in the Swift Boat Veterans for Truth ads in 2004 and the Willie Horton ad in 1988.
Braley attempted to stop by the group’s headquarters, but as it turns out, there is no office, only a P.O.Box at a UPS Store.
“We don’t know where these secret donors are that are supporting Ben Lange, but they’re obviously not at the UPS Store on Fleur Drive,” he said. [Iowa Independent]
It's a nice little bit of political theater to raise awareness about one of the most important issues in American democracy: The fact that corporations can spend unlimited sums on political ads without disclosing their donors.
[Photo credit: Jane Rahman, Creative Commons.]
Swipe right to make the connections that could change your career.
Swipe right. Match. Meet over coffee or set up a call.
No, we aren't talking about Tinder. Introducing Shapr, a free app that helps people with synergistic professional goals and skill sets easily meet and collaborate.
Even some teachers suffer from anxiety about math.
I teach people how to teach math, and I've been working in this field for 30 years. Across those decades, I've met many people who suffer from varying degrees of math trauma – a form of debilitating mental shutdown when it comes to doing mathematics.
She met mere mortals with and without the Vatican's approval.
- For centuries, the Virgin Mary has appeared to the faithful, requesting devotion and promising comfort.
- These maps show the geography of Marian apparitions – the handful approved by the Vatican, and many others.
- Historically, Europe is where most apparitions have been reported, but the U.S. is pretty fertile ground too.
The legacy of Felix Dzerzhinsky, who led Soviet secret police in the "Red Terror," still confounds Russia.
- Felix Dzerzhinsky led the Cheka, Soviet Union's first secret police.
- The Cheka was infamous for executing thousands during the Red Terror of 1918.
- The Cheka later became the KGB, the spy organization where Russia's President Putin served for years.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.