Candidate Visits Mailbox "HQ" of American Future Fund [Video]
Rep Bruce Braley (D-Ia) paid a visit to the "headquarters," of the American Future Fund, a shadowy 501(c)4 group that has spent nearly $1 million to defeat him in the upcoming election.
American Future Fund, a conservative nonprofit based in Des Moines, has repeatedly attacked Braley in the hopes of aiding his underfunded Republican opponent, Ben Lange. Because the group is organized as a 501(c)4 nonprofit, it does not have to disclose its donors. But it’s leadership is made up of prominent Iowa Republicans with ties to the presidential campaign of Mitt Romney and the gubernatorial campaign of Terry Branstad, as well as media consultants who played key roles in the Swift Boat Veterans for Truth ads in 2004 and the Willie Horton ad in 1988.
Braley attempted to stop by the group’s headquarters, but as it turns out, there is no office, only a P.O.Box at a UPS Store.
“We don’t know where these secret donors are that are supporting Ben Lange, but they’re obviously not at the UPS Store on Fleur Drive,” he said. [Iowa Independent]
It's a nice little bit of political theater to raise awareness about one of the most important issues in American democracy: The fact that corporations can spend unlimited sums on political ads without disclosing their donors.
[Photo credit: Jane Rahman, Creative Commons.]
Upstreamism advocate Rishi Manchanda calls us to understand health not as a "personal responsibility" but a "common good."
- Upstreamism tasks health care professionals to combat unhealthy social and cultural influences that exist outside — or upstream — of medical facilities.
- Patients from low-income neighborhoods are most at risk of negative health impacts.
- Thankfully, health care professionals are not alone. Upstreamism is increasingly part of our cultural consciousness.
A plan to forgive almost a trillion dollars in debt would solve the student loan debt crisis, but can it work?
- Sen. Elizabeth Warren has just proposed a bold education reform plan that would forgive billions in student debt.
- The plan would forgive the debt held by more than 30 million Americans.
- The debt forgiveness program is one part of a larger program to make higher education more accessible.
America isn't immune to attempts to remove books from libraries and schools, here are ten frequent targets and why you ought to go check them out.
- Even in America, books are frequently challenged and removed from schools and public libraries.
- Every year, the American Library Association puts on Banned Books Week to draw attention to this fact.
- Some of the books they include on their list of most frequently challenged are some of the greatest, most beloved, and entertaining books there are.
In most states, LGBTQ Americans have no legal protections against discrimination in the workplace.
- The Supreme Court will decide whether the Civil Rights Act of 1964 also applies to gay and transgender people.
- The court, which currently has a probable conservative majority, will likely decide on the cases in 2020.
- Only 21 states and the District of Columbia have passed laws effectively extending the Civil Rights of 1964 to gay and transgender people.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.