Fashion: The big fake
More than any other industry, fashion has been so oversold, so twisted, pitched and commercialized, that the true designers are pushed to the periphery. Why have so many designers lost touch with the medium they have chosen to work with? Like any craft, the function matters, but the hype around the runways has forced the craft to take back seat to the circus act.I've tried to embrace fashion over the years, but there is something about the posing that goes on at the fashion shows -- and it's not by the models but by the people involved in the industry. From the make-up-masked designer wannabes to the pretentious fashion reporters who --not surprisingly-- are some of the worst writers in the media industry.
The media industry flounders in its attempt to reach women, ignoring cultural changes that have occurred over the last 20 years they continue to focus on fashion. But the interest in the industry has faded. More and more women find significance in their careers and no longer have the need to find a man to support them. Confidence comes from action. And in a culture where grandparents worked the land, grew their own food, and built cities, sewing material into a blouse and marketing it so you snag complete idiots into paying thousands of dollars for it isn’t exactly honest work. Thus the fashion industry wobbles around bathed in fake arrogance, fake confidence and fake significance. The sooner the media gives up on the fashion industry the sooner the industry will get back to the real art that occurs when design and function are married. Sarah Thomson is publisher of the Women’s Post.
Swipe right to make the connections that could change your career.
Swipe right. Match. Meet over coffee or set up a call.
No, we aren't talking about Tinder. Introducing Shapr, a free app that helps people with synergistic professional goals and skill sets easily meet and collaborate.
It's up to us humans to re-humanize our world. An economy that prioritizes growth and profits over humanity has led to digital platforms that "strip the topsoil" of human behavior, whole industries, and the planet, giving less and less back. And only we can save us.
- It's an all-hands-on-deck moment in the arc of civilization.
- Everyone has a choice: Do you want to try to earn enough money to insulate yourself from the world you're creating— or do you want to make the world a place you don't have to insulate yourself from?
Eight-dimensional octonions may hold the clues to solve fundamental mysteries.
- Physicists discover complex numbers called octonions that work in 8 dimensions.
- The numbers have been found linked to fundamental forces of reality.
- Understanding octonions can lead to a new model of physics.
Upload your mind? Here's a reality check on the Singularity.
- Though computer engineers claim to know what human consciousness is, many neuroscientists say that we're nowhere close to understanding what it is, or its source.
- Scientists are currently trying to upload human minds to silicon chips, or re-create consciousness with algorithms, but this may be hubristic because we still know so little about what it means to be human.
- Is transhumanism a journey forward or an escape from reality?
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.