PopularSurprising SciencePersonal GrowthMind & BrainSex & RelationshipsTechnology & InnovationCulture & ReligionPolitics & Current Affairs
SI/USGS Weekly Volcano Activity Report for 10/21-27/2009
The new volcano activity report from the Smithsonian/USGS has news of eruptions from Colombia, Russia, Mexico and Ecuador.
- Nevado del Huila in Colombia has been showing signs that a new eruption might be starting. Seismicity has increased and minor ash fall has been reported, leading to an increase in the alert level at the volcano to "orange" (high). \n
- Ebeko in the Kuril Islands off Russia and Japan produced a ~8.8 km / 29,000 foot ash plume. \n
- Thermal images of the crater at El Reventador in Ecuador show that hot material is filling in the dome complex - this followed ash-and-steam explosions earlier in the week. \n
- Santa María's Santiaguito (Guatemala) dome produced ash fall, avalanches and was strongly degassing over the last week. \n
- White and grey plumes reached up to ~4 km / 13,500 feet at Colima in Mexico.
Scroll down to load more…