New lava flows from Erta'Ale
There hasn't been a lot of coverage in the news, but Ethiopia's Erta'Ale has started issuing new lava flows over the last week. I got a note from an Eruptions reader who is near the volcano that offers some details:
Just back a couple of days ago from Erte Ale on one of Tom Pheifers Volcano Discovery Tours, and Erte Ale has begun to have lava flows.The lava lake often boiled over causing small flows. The pit has grownup and now sits about 20m above the old one with lava right at the surface.
There are also a report from the Leeds University Afar Rift Consortium that mentions the new lava flows - with images of lava flows and samples taken from these new eruptive products, all from November 21-23. It seems pretty clear that the lava lake in the crater of the volcano is very active, with lava flows coming from breaches in the lake and small spatter cones/ramparts forming from the fountaining of the low viscosity basalt magma. Especially evident is how much the crater lake area has filled with lava since February 2010 (see below). All this activity is part of the ongoing activity at Erta'Ale that started in 1967 - and all part of the Eastern African Rift.
The changes in the lava within the crater from February to November 2010. Image from the Afar Rift Consortium.
Top left: Lava flow and spatter from Erta'Ale, erupted on November 22, 2010. Image from the Afar Rift Consortium.
Swipe right to make the connections that could change your career.
Swipe right. Match. Meet over coffee or set up a call.
No, we aren't talking about Tinder. Introducing Shapr, a free app that helps people with synergistic professional goals and skill sets easily meet and collaborate.
China's Chang'e 4 biosphere experiment marks a first for humankind.
- China's Chang'e 4 lunar lander touched down on the far side of the moon on January 3.
- In addition to a lunar rover, the lander carried a biosphere experiment that contains five sets of plants and some insects.
- The experiment is designed to test how astronauts might someday grow plants in space to sustain long-term settlements.
She met mere mortals with and without the Vatican's approval.
- For centuries, the Virgin Mary has appeared to the faithful, requesting devotion and promising comfort.
- These maps show the geography of Marian apparitions – the handful approved by the Vatican, and many others.
- Historically, Europe is where most apparitions have been reported, but the U.S. is pretty fertile ground too.
Arranged marriages and Western romantic practices have more in common than we might think.
In his book In Praise of Love (2009), the French communist philosopher Alain Badiou attacks the notion of 'risk-free love', which he sees written in the commercial language of dating services that promise their customers 'love, without falling in love'.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.