Merapi Mini-Update for 11/6/2010
With the 600+ comments over on yesterday's post about Merapi, I thought it would be a good idea to open a new thread. A couple brief updates on the state of the eruption at Merapi:
- There are reports of more pyroclastic flows issuing from the volcano today - mostly on Twitter feeds for people on the ground near the volcano (note: use with caution). Some of the tweets mention that Indonesian officials want people to move away from banks of rivers coming from Merapi, suggesting they think lahars might be generated.
Keep on posting whatever information you can find on the eruption as we all try to keep up with the news.
Top left: Merapi erupting on November 6, 2010. You can clearly see the ash fall from the plinian column on the left side of the image along with abundant lightning generated by the plume. Click on the image to see a larger version.
Swipe right to make the connections that could change your career.
Swipe right. Match. Meet over coffee or set up a call.
No, we aren't talking about Tinder. Introducing Shapr, a free app that helps people with synergistic professional goals and skill sets easily meet and collaborate.
Is it "perverseness," the "death drive," or something else?
A growing body of research shows promising signs that the keto diet might be able to improve mental health.
- The keto diet is known to be an effective tool for weight loss, however its effects on mental health remain largely unclear.
- Recent studies suggests that the keto diet might be an effective tool for treating depression, and clearing up so-called "brain fog," though scientists caution more research is necessary before it can be recommended as a treatment.
- Any experiments with the keto diet are best done in conjunction with a doctor, considering some people face problems when transitioning to the low-carb diet.
It's up to us humans to re-humanize our world. An economy that prioritizes growth and profits over humanity has led to digital platforms that "strip the topsoil" of human behavior, whole industries, and the planet, giving less and less back. And only we can save us.
- It's an all-hands-on-deck moment in the arc of civilization.
- Everyone has a choice: Do you want to try to earn enough money to insulate yourself from the world you're creating— or do you want to make the world a place you don't have to insulate yourself from?
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.