Eruption Updates: Bulusan, Lokon-Empung and Kilauea
A couple quick updates on new and ongoing eruptions:
Lokon-Empung, Indonesia: Eruptions reader Ton Van Der AA brought us news about a small, new eruption at Lokon-Empung (Indonesian) in Indonesia. Ruskanda Farid of the local volcano observatory described the eruption as a phreatic event - a stream-driven explosion that shattered old rock at the summit of the volcano. The report mentions increased seismicity and higher temperatures at the summit crater as well. Lokon-Empung, which is actually twin volcanoes called Lokon and Empung (see top left), typically produces VEI 2-3 explosive events every few years, with the last eruptive episode happening in 2003.
Bulusan, Philippines: People have begun to leave the area around Bulusan after the explosions of earlier this week, including 2,000 people moved by the army. This comes with warnings from PHILVOLCS geologist Ed Laguerta that the ash from the eruption might trigger lahars if there is increased rainfall. The ash fall from this and other eruptions have already caused problems with the farmers whose livelihood depends on crops located on the slopes of Bulusan, along with reports of respiratory issues in towns near the volcano.
Kilauea, Hawai`i: We've been following the increased activity at Pu`u O`o and the Halema`uma`u Crater over the last few weeks. The most recent HVO update on Kilauea mentions that a new cycle of inflation started Monday evening. The deflation period that ended at 9:15PM on 2/21/11 was the largest amplitude and longest duration event at Kilauea since 2000. However, the switch back to inflation might suggest a new period of vigorous activity is coming soon.
As always, be sure to check out the available webcams for these volcanoes to see the action.
Top left: Undated image of Lokon-Empung in Indonesia.
Swipe right to make the connections that could change your career.
Swipe right. Match. Meet over coffee or set up a call.
No, we aren't talking about Tinder. Introducing Shapr, a free app that helps people with synergistic professional goals and skill sets easily meet and collaborate.
A growing body of research shows promising signs that the keto diet might be able to improve mental health.
- The keto diet is known to be an effective tool for weight loss, however its effects on mental health remain largely unclear.
- Recent studies suggests that the keto diet might be an effective tool for treating depression, and clearing up so-called "brain fog," though scientists caution more research is necessary before it can be recommended as a treatment.
- Any experiments with the keto diet are best done in conjunction with a doctor, considering some people face problems when transitioning to the low-carb diet.
She met mere mortals with and without the Vatican's approval.
- For centuries, the Virgin Mary has appeared to the faithful, requesting devotion and promising comfort.
- These maps show the geography of Marian apparitions – the handful approved by the Vatican, and many others.
- Historically, Europe is where most apparitions have been reported, but the U.S. is pretty fertile ground too.
Thinking your life is worthwhile is correlated with a variety of positive outcomes.
- A new study finds that adults who feel their lives are meaningful have better health and life outcomes.
- Adults who felt their lives were worthwhile tended to be more social and had healthier habits.
- The findings could be used to help improve the health of older adults.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.