4 volcanoes for the price of 1 in Kamchatka
We've finally made it to the weekend, so I thought I'd leave you with a shiny new image from the NASA Earth Observatory folks. The new ASTER image (below) captured today shows four volcanoes on the Kamchatka peninsula in Russia letting off steam and/or ash: Kizimen (furthest to the south with a thick, grey plume), Bezymianny (next north with a very wispy white plume), Kliuchevskoi (just north of Bezymianny, with a white plume) and Shiveluch (furthest north with a grey/tan plume). This isn't an unique event for Kamchatka - we're still 4 volcanoes erupting simultaneously before - but is still a cool thing to see. The NASA EO also had an image earlier this week of Kizimen by itself as well (top left).
You can check out the details of all the activity in Kamchatka in this week's USGS/Smithsonian Global Volcanism Program Weekly Volcanic Activity Report or the latest KVERT status update.
Enjoy the weekend (the last in February!)
Swipe right to make the connections that could change your career.
Swipe right. Match. Meet over coffee or set up a call.
No, we aren't talking about Tinder. Introducing Shapr, a free app that helps people with synergistic professional goals and skill sets easily meet and collaborate.
How you talk to people with drug addiction might save their life.
- Addiction is a learning disorder; it's not a sign that someone is a bad person.
- Tough love doesn't help drug-addicted people. Research shows that the best way to get people help is through compassion, empathy and support. Approach them as an equal human being deserving of respect.
- As a first step to recovery, Maia Szalavitz recommends the family or friends of people with addiction get them a complete psychiatric evaluation by somebody who is not affiliated with any treatment organization. Unfortunately, warns Szalavitz, some people will try to make a profit off of an addicted person without informing them of their full options.
Meanwhile, Spaniards are the least likely to say their culture is superior to others.
- Survey by Pew Research Center shows great variation in chauvinism across Europe.
- Eight most chauvinist countries are in the east, and include Russia.
- British much more likely than French (and slightly more likely than Germans) to say their culture is "superior" to others.
China's Chang'e 4 biosphere experiment marks a first for humankind.
- China's Chang'e 4 lunar lander touched down on the far side of the moon on January 3.
- In addition to a lunar rover, the lander carried a biosphere experiment that contains five sets of plants and some insects.
- The experiment is designed to test how astronauts might someday grow plants in space to sustain long-term settlements.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.