Plato's Confesses His 10 Biggest Errors
Here they are in reverse order:
10. There is such a thing as a human soul that can preserve our existence post-death in disembodied form.
9. Absolute power is beneficent when restricted to philosophers, who of course won’t abuse it, and so require no oversight.
8.Theory of Forms, the quintessential essentialism.
7. Rulers should be allowed to tell whoppers, so long as their hearts are just & their lies are noble.
6. Art that stirs up the wrong emotions must be banned.
5. Beautiful mathematics leads us straight to the truth. See http://bit.ly/1qOCSV6
4. Average schmoes with no talent for thinking should be told what to think, which won’t undermine their humanity nor that of the rulers.
3. Since structure of reality is mathematical, observation is largely irrelevant.
2. Rule of the people (democracy) is doomed to degenerate into tyranny, as people succumb to promises of a strongman.
1. The unexamined life is not worth living.
Image: Raphael [Public domain], via Wikimedia Commons
Upstreamism advocate Rishi Manchanda calls us to understand health not as a "personal responsibility" but a "common good."
- Upstreamism tasks health care professionals to combat unhealthy social and cultural influences that exist outside — or upstream — of medical facilities.
- Patients from low-income neighborhoods are most at risk of negative health impacts.
- Thankfully, health care professionals are not alone. Upstreamism is increasingly part of our cultural consciousness.
The Bajau people's nomadic lifestyle has given them remarkable adaptions, enabling them to stay underwater for unbelievable periods of time. Their lifestyle, however, is quickly disappearing.
- The Bajau people travel in small flotillas throughout the Phillipines, Malaysia, and Indonesia, hunting fish underwater for food.
- Over the years, practicing this lifestyle has given the Bajau unique adaptations to swimming underwater. Many find it straightforward to dive up to 13 minutes 200 feet below the surface of the ocean.
- Unfortunately, many disparate factors are erasing the traditional Bajau way of life.
We explore the history of blood types and how they are classified to find out what makes the Rh-null type important to science and dangerous for those who live with it.
- Fewer than 50 people worldwide have 'golden blood' — or Rh-null.
- Blood is considered Rh-null if it lacks all of the 61 possible antigens in the Rh system.
- It's also very dangerous to live with this blood type, as so few people have it.
An innovation may lead to lifelike evolving machines.
- Scientists at Cornell University devise a material with 3 key traits of life.
- The goal for the researchers is not to create life but lifelike machines.
- The researchers were able to program metabolism into the material's DNA.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.