Who Really Supported Trump? A Great Minority of the Electorate
If Americans love their democracy why does voter turnout put them 31st out of 35 OECD nations?
1. “It’s not true that most of America supports Trump,” notes David Pogue.
3. Electoral college quirks and 3rd parties are peanuts if ~90 million don’t use their right to vote.
5. In ancient Greece not voting made you a “marked man” (failing to attending to your civic duties in the assembly could get citizens rounded up using a red-painted rope, leaving them marked men).
6. That reminds me... the original, ancient Greek, meaning of “idiot” was the antonym of the original meaning of “political” (see The Most Successful Euphemism In History). Now they seem like near synonyms.
7. Speaking of the way words are used in politics, Mary Beard says democracy suffers when “words lose all meaning… Politicians may always have lied, but at least the Greeks and Romans worried about that. We have come almost to take it for granted.”
8. Surely it’s idiocy to let political apathy and lies (spread in new tech enabled ways) shape our future.
Illustration by Julia Suits, author of The Extraordinary Catalog of Peculiar Inventions, and The New Yorker cartoonist.
Upvote/downvote each of the videos below!
Having these financial life skills can help you navigate challenging economic environments.
- Americans are swimming in increasingly higher amounts of debt, even the upper middle class.
- Here's some essential financial life skills needed to ensure your economic wellbeing.
Here's the first evidence to challenge the "fastest sperm" narrative.
Experts argue the jaws of an ancient European ape reveal a key human ancestor.
- The jaw bones of an 8-million-year-old ape were discovered at Nikiti, Greece, in the '90s.
- These fossils may change how we view the evolution of our species.
Rethinking humanity's origin story
Migrating out of Africa
Did we head east or south of Eden?
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.