Environmental goals for E.U. and the World
While thinking about the environmental goals I want my E.U. congress people to work towards, I realized that I want air pollution addressed more than anything else.
When Big Think challenged facebook members in Europe to come up with what environmental goals we would like to see reached through the European Union I realized, Air Pollution is my nightmare lately.
I would be wearing a light white mask to protect my nose and mouth Everywhere, if only my family would walk with me instead of so many meters ahead of me.
In Connecticut I wore the small masks when my allergies became particularly unbearable due to traffic and city pollution reaching our lovely little place of green in the valley between New York City and Boston. My younger daughter, still small, didn't mind when I wore the mask, she just commented, "Mom, the mask makes you look Chinese."
I'm now thinking of investing in the manufacturers of those masks whenever a windfall blows my way because they are becoming more and more popular in more and more places.
Here's my wish list for E.U. environmental goals. They are also personal goals and may be acted upon by one person or more in a community!
1. Cleaning up the air by a great mass transit system throughout Europe. We have our E.U. passport, now we want our E.U. transport!
2. Clean up polluting vehicles using the streets. Lots of people can't afford new vehicles. Maybe help in purchasing new mufflers, catalytic converters or new vehicles is the solution.
3. Mandatory bike paths and walking paths everywhere.
4. Continual improvement of soil conditions with compost, earthworms, manure, legumes, crop rotating.
5. Continual cooperation and improvement of water management plans.
6. Initiating a program to not only prevent fires but also to put the fires out once they have started. Spot fires faster, have enough fast reaction fire fighters, trucks, helicopters and planes ready. Have water tanks sited in towns and villages so residents can start putting out the fire immediately. Plus buffer zones around towns and homes to slow down and perhaps prevent fire from reaching homes.
What am I missing?
International poker champion Liv Boeree teaches decision-making for Big Think Edge.
The way that you think about stress can actually transform the effect that it has on you – and others.
- Stress is contagious, and the higher up in an organization you are the more your stress will be noticed and felt by others.
- Kelly McGonigal teaches "Reset your mindset to reduce stress" for Big Think Edge.
- Subscribe to Big Think Edge before we launch on March 30 to get 20% off monthly and annual memberships.
Tracking project establishes northern Argentina is wintering ground of Swainson's hawks
- Watch these six dots move across the map and be moved yourself: this is a story about coming of age, discovery, hardship, death and survival.
- Each dot is a tag attached to the talon of a Swainson's Hawk. We follow them on their very first migration, from northern California all the way down to Argentina.
- After one year, only one is still alive.
These quick bursts of inspiration will brighten your day in 10 minutes or less.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.