Environment: Opportunity for CREATIVITY
I've been thinking of different ways scientists and engineers could have prepared the world population for the extreme weather problems. By not financing weaponry but instead innovative solutions to natural disasters we could have been way ahead of the game by now.
The line of trees in the photo were planted after a wildfire disaster in Sprati, Greece. Planting fast growing trees is one of the many solutions to preventing erosion quickly after a natural disaster such as the wildfires.
I've been trying to think even bigger and I hope other Big Thinkers will have ideas to add.
The flood in the Philippines could have been a gift from heaven for populations suffering from drought.
Water harvesting is a habit we all need to nurture.
I imagine hundreds of robotic drones flying to the area as soon as the rains start. Each drone would drop a large curved flexible plastic sheet tethered to the drone at four corners in order to catch the rain. When the plastic sheet is full enough a gadget would pop out of the drone and tie up the top of the sheet, cut it free and let the large balloon full of water drop to the sea where boats would pull it to Africa.
We already have the drones and the balloons that are pulled by boats (for example, to take water to Santorini and other islands without fresh water supplies in the summer.)
I know we have engineers that could design the rest.
This seems to me to be a win-win situation. Catch the water -
save the Phillipines from a devestating flood and give water to those who must have water to survive.
It could happen!
Swipe right to make the connections that could change your career.
Swipe right. Match. Meet over coffee or set up a call.
No, we aren't talking about Tinder. Introducing Shapr, a free app that helps people with synergistic professional goals and skill sets easily meet and collaborate.
In his final years, Martin Luther King, Jr. become increasingly focused on the problem of poverty in America.
- Despite being widely known for his leadership role in the American civil rights movement, Martin Luther King, Jr. also played a central role in organizing the Poor People's Campaign of 1968.
- The campaign was one of the first to demand a guaranteed income for all poor families in America.
- Today, the idea of a universal basic income is increasingly popular, and King's arguments in support of the policy still make a good case some 50 years later.
She met mere mortals with and without the Vatican's approval.
- For centuries, the Virgin Mary has appeared to the faithful, requesting devotion and promising comfort.
- These maps show the geography of Marian apparitions – the handful approved by the Vatican, and many others.
- Historically, Europe is where most apparitions have been reported, but the U.S. is pretty fertile ground too.
For Damien Echols, tattoos are part of his existential armor.
- In prison Damien Echols was known by his number SK931, not his name, and had his hair sheared off. Stripped of his identity, the only thing he had left was his skin.
- This is why he began tattooing things that are meaningful to him — to carry a "suit of armor" made up the images of the people and objects that have significance to him, from his friends to talismans.
- Echols believes that all places are imbued with divinity: "If you interact with New York City as if there's an intelligence behind... then it will behave towards you the same way."
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.