Harvard as a mid- or late-career choice
“Education isn't about knowledge, it's about privilege.Would we know about Hannah Arendt had she not studied under Martin Heidegger and Karl Jaspers? Let me be more specific, education is about the privilege of getting acquainted with the people who matter in your field.”
CAMBRIDGE - It is (almost) impossible (for foreign nationals) to get into Harvard straight out of high school, but if you have the potential; you should always try your luck of course. I believe, however, that Harvard is a much better mid- or late career choice.
Go there for a LLM, a MBA, a PhD, or as a visiting fellow and it’s far more rewarding. Here’s how to do it. If you don’t come from your country’s ruling class and if you are not the daughter of the president of China, you may want to start with small steps, get your first degree elsewhere (in your home country), establish a strong network, build your career, travel the world, be outstanding somehow, then call on Harvard, attend conferences at Harvard, and make friends with people at Harvard, read books about how to get into Harvard, contact Harvard professors, and meet with faculty members. Find out what they are looking for.
Dream about Harvard. Attend schools that have exchange with Harvard. Most important is to never give up. Remember it’s a very exclusive club. Fortitude, but more so connection and recommendation, will eventually get you there. Beneath the brand surface, Harvard is run like a big business, so fees for international students are very high. Better to find a sponsor.
Image credit: BortN66/Shutterstock.com
Swipe right to make the connections that could change your career.
Swipe right. Match. Meet over coffee or set up a call.
No, we aren't talking about Tinder. Introducing Shapr, a free app that helps people with synergistic professional goals and skill sets easily meet and collaborate.
For Damien Echols, tattoos are part of his existential armor.
- In prison Damien Echols was known by his number SK931, not his name, and had his hair sheared off. Stripped of his identity, the only thing he had left was his skin.
- This is why he began tattooing things that are meaningful to him — to carry a "suit of armor" made up the images of the people and things that have significance to him, from his friends to talismans.
- Echols believes that all places are imbued with divinity: "If you interact with New York City as if there's an intelligence behind... then it will behave towards you the same way.".
She met mere mortals with and without the Vatican's approval.
- For centuries, the Virgin Mary has appeared to the faithful, requesting devotion and promising comfort.
- These maps show the geography of Marian apparitions – the handful approved by the Vatican, and many others.
- Historically, Europe is where most apparitions have been reported, but the U.S. is pretty fertile ground too.
Even some teachers suffer from anxiety about math.
I teach people how to teach math, and I've been working in this field for 30 years. Across those decades, I've met many people who suffer from varying degrees of math trauma – a form of debilitating mental shutdown when it comes to doing mathematics.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.