Win a Chance to Meet Me and Take Part in Filming for "SCI-FI Science: Physics of the Impossible" in New York City on July 16th
I'm nearly done filming a second season of "SCI-FI Science: Physics of the Impossible" on The Science Channel. In this exciting new series, I've identified 12 more familiar science-fiction movie, TV and literature notions and technologies. I've been explaining how we can build some of these SCI-FI ideas into science fact and—once again—I want to know what you think of my designs.
The next two episodes will be:
"How to Stop the Rise of the Machines" and "How to Defeat a Cyborg Army"
I'm inviting lucky winners of our competitions to the studio shoots where I will reveal my designs.
For a chance to be invited to the next reveal shoot in New York City, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with your answers to the questions below.
In less than 250 words tell us:
- Should we be afraid of the Technological Singularity?
- What could we do to stop computers taking over?
- Is there any way to defeat a cyborg army?
- If you were to create your own cyborg army, what capabilities would it have?
I will choose a handful of lucky sci-fi fans to take part in the filming. Please include your name, age and contact details. You must be able to travel to New York for the filming on Friday, July 16th!
Please do not enter if you are unable to make this date.
Winners will be contacted on July 10th via e-mail or telephone—so be sure to check both often!
Make sure to get your entries e-mailed to email@example.com as quickly as possible!
Swipe right to make the connections that could change your career.
Swipe right. Match. Meet over coffee or set up a call.
No, we aren't talking about Tinder. Introducing Shapr, a free app that helps people with synergistic professional goals and skill sets easily meet and collaborate.
How you talk to people with drug addiction might save their life.
- Addiction is a learning disorder; it's not a sign that someone is a bad person.
- Tough love doesn't help drug-addicted people. Research shows that the best way to get people help is through compassion, empathy and support. Approach them as an equal human being deserving of respect.
- As a first step to recovery, Maia Szalavitz recommends the family or friends of people with addiction get them a complete psychiatric evaluation by somebody who is not affiliated with any treatment organization. Unfortunately, warns Szalavitz, some people will try to make a profit off of an addicted person without informing them of their full options.
These photos of scientific heroes and accomplishments inspire awe and curiosity.
- Science has given humanity an incalculable boost over the recent centuries, changing our lives in ways both awe-inspiring and humbling.
- Fortunately, photography, a scientific feat in and of itself, has recorded some of the most important events, people and discoveries in science, allowing us unprecedented insight and expanding our view of the world.
- Here are some of the most important scientific photos of history:
China's Chang'e 4 biosphere experiment marks a first for humankind.
- China's Chang'e 4 lunar lander touched down on the far side of the moon on January 3.
- In addition to a lunar rover, the lander carried a biosphere experiment that contains five sets of plants and some insects.
- The experiment is designed to test how astronauts might someday grow plants in space to sustain long-term settlements.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.