Some faithful get offended that I show scant respect to their holy book. Does it deserve it? From my viewpoint it does pretty well without my help. Tactless as it is, I can't find any reason to champion it's contents or recommend it's use. How can a book that has as many invocations to hate, violence, bigotry, racism, murder, misogny, et al, as well as calls for brotherly love and kindness to others be useful at all. You can find and twist a piece of scriptural musing to support anything it seems? Therefore it's worth as a moral compass is zero. The koran (a Muslim variation on the Old Testament) is invoked by suicide bombers, yet the moderates say there is no scriptural basis for their actions... who do I believe? Thankfully the enlightenement has meant the Xtians no longer kill heathens like me, but they once did. So to my Xtian friends who only like the gentle bits, the kind bits and conveniently skip over or re-interpret the nasty bits, you are welcome to it. It's mostly dull and uninspired. Not one sentence or idea it contains could not have come from the mind of the men writng it.... and it is supposedly the inerrant word of the Almighty? The contradictions and disagreements in the New T gospels (don't mention the ones they dropped, found at Nag Hammadi) are enough to reveal their very earthy prosaic origins.
Swipe right to make the connections that could change your career.
Swipe right. Match. Meet over coffee or set up a call.
No, we aren't talking about Tinder. Introducing Shapr, a free app that helps people with synergistic professional goals and skill sets easily meet and collaborate.
In his final years, Martin Luther King, Jr. become increasingly focused on the problem of poverty in America.
- Despite being widely known for his leadership role in the American civil rights movement, Martin Luther King, Jr. also played a central role in organizing the Poor People's Campaign of 1968.
- The campaign was one of the first to demand a guaranteed income for all poor families in America.
- Today, the idea of a universal basic income is increasingly popular, and King's arguments in support of the policy still make a good case some 50 years later.
She met mere mortals with and without the Vatican's approval.
- For centuries, the Virgin Mary has appeared to the faithful, requesting devotion and promising comfort.
- These maps show the geography of Marian apparitions – the handful approved by the Vatican, and many others.
- Historically, Europe is where most apparitions have been reported, but the U.S. is pretty fertile ground too.
For Damien Echols, tattoos are part of his existential armor.
- In prison Damien Echols was known by his number SK931, not his name, and had his hair sheared off. Stripped of his identity, the only thing he had left was his skin.
- This is why he began tattooing things that are meaningful to him — to carry a "suit of armor" made up the images of the people and objects that have significance to him, from his friends to talismans.
- Echols believes that all places are imbued with divinity: "If you interact with New York City as if there's an intelligence behind... then it will behave towards you the same way."
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.