Does religion inspire morality?
Does religion inspire morality? There are many religious people who have committed heinous crimes, some of which are carried out in the name of God. All religions seem to advocate a moral life, yet many also promote violence when dealing with those who do not adhere to that religion. Islam has many peaceful tenets, but it also calls for jihads (in whatever sense of the word you want to take it) against non-believers and the sinful life. For this reason people are able to justify suicide bombings aimed at killing innocent non-believers. Those who carry out such horrible acts are assured that they will be rewarded by God for their deed. The same was done in Christianity, though it has for the most part, thankfully, progressed out of this mindset. The Inquisition was carried out by the most sincere believers, pogroms have occurred throughout history in Christian nations, and the bible was used to justify slavery. To say these ideas were perversions of the original religion is very debatable, since the words used to justify such acts are written in the same "holy" books that preach against them. With this in mind I ask, does religion inspire morality?
Upvote/downvote each of the videos below!
As you vote, keep in mind that we are looking for a winner with the most engaging social venture pitch - an idea you would want to invest in.
Here are 7 often-overlooked World Heritage Sites, each with its own history.
- UNESCO World Heritage Sites are locations of high value to humanity, either for their cultural, historical, or natural significance.
- Some are even designated as World Heritage Sites because humans don't go there at all, while others have felt the effects of too much human influence.
- These 7 UNESCO World Heritage Sites each represent an overlooked or at-risk facet of humanity's collective cultural heritage.
A new study shows that some men's reaction to sex is not what you'd expect, resulting in a condition previously observed in women.
A new method promises to capture an elusive dark world particle.
- Scientists working on the Large Hadron Collider (LHC) devised a method for trapping dark matter particles.
- Dark matter is estimated to take up 26.8% of all matter in the Universe.
- The researchers will be able to try their approach in 2021, when the LHC goes back online.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.