Does Fiction Matter?
If one considers the Homeric Epics and the mythology they helped create fiction, and that fiction was the religion of millions of people for thousands of years, if a child can read a Harry Potter novel and become a better person for it, if an oppressed human being can read a Walter Mosley novel and feel empowered by it, does that make fiction, on a base level, important to society as a whole? or is our fascination with make-believe simply playing with the gravel on the side of the road of life?
A federal judge ruled that the Trump administration likely violated the reporter's Fifth Amendment rights when it stripped his press credentials earlier this month.
- Acosta will be allowed to return to the White House on Friday.
- The judge described the ruling as narrow, and didn't rule one way or the other on violations of the First Amendment.
- The case is still open, and the administration may choose to appeal the ruling.
Protected animals are feared to be headed for the black market.
New research identifies an unexpected source for some of earth's water.
- A lot of Earth's water is asteroidal in origin, but some of it may come from dissolved solar nebula gas.
- Our planet hides majority of its water inside: two oceans in the mantle and 4–5 in the core.
- New reason to suspect that water is abundant throughout the universe.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.