The Science Is In: You Should Always Order the Biggest Pizza
A new study broke down the pizza prices from 3,678 pizza joints throughout the United States to see if ordering a large pizza is the best deal. It is. We break down the price per square inch of pizza from three options at Pizza Hut.
Quick: how much bigger is a 16-inch pizza than an 8-inch pizza?
If you answered twice the size, we may need to send you in for some remedial math. A 16-inch pizza is four times the size of the 8-inch pizza. Size matters. An extensive study by NPR examined the prices from 3,678 pizza joints throughout the United States (with data from Grubhub Seamless), which calculated the price per square inch of pizza, came to this conclusion:
You should always order the large pizza. It will be less per square inch of pizza.
While a 16-inch pizza is four times the size of the 8-inch pizza, the larger pizza will be far less than four times the price of the small. Although we obviously expect a discount per unit (square inch for pizza in this case), our difficulty with quickly understanding the size difference may make the price differences seem less extreme than it truly is. [I break down the prices at Pizza Hut later in this article.]
Judging the value we get per unit is not always clear just from our eyes--that's why grocery stores typically provide a price-per-unit for consumers.
The Size of a Pizza Pie
In order to figure out the size of a pizza pie, you literally have to use π (pi) in the calculation. If it has been awhile since you sat in an uncomfortable seat with a #2 pencil, π is equal to approximately 3.14159. The calculation for the area of the pizza is πr2. R, the radius, is half the diameter.
r (radius)=8 inches
Calculation: 3.14159 * (8 squared) = 201.06176
Calculation: 3.14159 * (4 squared) = 50.26544
The Price of Pizza at Pizza Hut
While the NPR study looked at over 3,000 pizza places to crunch the average price per square inch of pizza, it can be helpful to look at just one popular eatery--Pizza Hut. Pizza Hut serves three sizes: personal pan, medium, and large. Note: eateries do not always clearly list the size of their pizza in inches.
[A personal pan at Pizza Hut is 6 inches in diameter.]
r (radius)=3 inches
Size Calculation: 3.14159 * (3 squared) = 28.27431
Price per square inch of pizza = $4.50/28.27431 = 15.92 cents per square inch
[A medium pizza at Pizza Hut is 12 inches in diameter.]
r (radius)=6 inches
Size Calculation: 3.14159 * (6 squared) = 113.09724
Price per square inch of pizza = $9.99/113.09724 = 8.83 cents per square inch of pizza
[A large pizza at Pizza Hut is 14 inches in diameter.]
r (radius)=7 inches
Size Calculation: 3.14159 * (7 squared) = 153.93791
Price per square inch of pizza = $11.99/153.93791 = 7.79 cents per square inch of pizza
Pizza + Math = Delicious deal
What can 3D printing do for medicine? The "sky is the limit," says Northwell Health researcher Dr. Todd Goldstein.
- Medical professionals are currently using 3D printers to create prosthetics and patient-specific organ models that doctors can use to prepare for surgery.
- Eventually, scientists hope to print patient-specific organs that can be transplanted safely into the human body.
- Northwell Health, New York State's largest health care provider, is pioneering 3D printing in medicine in three key ways.
Beyond Beef sizzles and marbleizes just like real beef, Beyond Meat says.
- Shares of Beyond Meat opened at around $200 on Tuesday morning, falling to nearly $170 by the afternoon.
- Wall Street analysts remain wary of the stock, which has been on a massive hot streak since its IPO in May.
- Beyond Meat faces competition from Impossible Foods and, as of this week, Tyson.
Average waiting time for hitchhikers in Ireland: Less than 30 minutes. In southern Spain: More than 90 minutes.
- A popular means of transportation from the 1920s to the 1980s, hitchhiking has since fallen in disrepute.
- However, as this map shows, thumbing a ride still occupies a thriving niche – if at great geographic variance.
- In some countries and areas, you'll be off the street in no time. In other places, it's much harder to thumb your way from A to B.
A recent study used data from the Big Five personality to estimate psychopathy prevalence in the 48 contiguous states and Washington, D.C.
- The study estimated psychopathy prevalence by looking at the prevalence of certain traits in the Big Five model of personality.
- The District of Columbia had the highest prevalence of psychopathy, compared to other areas.
- The authors cautioned that their measurements were indirect, and that psychopathy in general is difficult to define precisely.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.