Where is the rebuilding
You know I’ve heard this story a few times, 2 days after The Great Chicago Fire there was an article in the paper that made sure everyone knew that “CHICAGO SHALL RISE AGAIN.” I didn’t see this same reaction with New Orleans, while there was a lot of initial press and social help that has sense died down (including my own effort Project: NOLA, which officially closed doors Dec 31st, 2006), but even right after Katrina I don’t remember hearing the nation shouting “New Orleans is Coming Back,” I do remember an instant debate about the cost-effectiveness of rebuilding.
I’m sick of the disrespect New Orleans has to endure. It’s one of America’s great cities, it’s going to be rebuilt, let’s rebuild it right!
BTW: If you’re thinking about New Orleans, or want to see a new social change method at work, check out the UNOP — one of my favorite groups on the scene.
Dozens of mummified cats were dug up this week. This isn't as shocking as you might think.
- Archaeologists in Egypt have found dozens of mummified cats in the tomb of a royal offical.
- The cats will join the ranks of hundreds of thousands of previously discovered ancient kitties.
- While the cats are nothing special, the tomb also held well preserved beetles.
They're at a higher risk for depression, weekend binge drinking, and unnecessary dieting.
- Body dysmorphia is not limited to women, a new study from Norway and Cambridge shows.
- Young men that focus on building muscle are at risk for a host of mental and physical health problems.
- Selfie culture is not helping the growing number of teens that are anxious and depressed.
How poor work practices turn us all into remote workers.
- Technology's supposed interconnectivity doesn't breed human interaction, and has instead made many workers feel less happy and less productive.
- Using email rather than walking over to someone's desk and having face-to-face time is a major culprit. Inter-office messaging apps can also make employees feel more distant from their co-workers.
- Can the tech companies who created this issue turn workplace isolation around, or is this the new normal?
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.