A Gift to My Friends
In honor of New Orleans I will share with you a drink passed on from Blake – someone I met when I was down there, I give you the Sazarac. I also urge you to buy the shirt Blake’s Dirty Coast firm has put out.
One of the true New Orleans drinks- a little work, but well worth it!
* 1 teaspoon of simple syrup (or 1 sugar cube or 1 teaspoon of granulated sugar)
* 3 – 4 dashes Peychaud’s bitters
* 2 ounces rye whiskey (rye for the classic Sazarac, though some use bourbon, much to the dismay and distain of purists)
* 1/4 teaspoon Herbsaint, or if unavailable, Pernod
* lemon peel
Pack a 3-1/2 ounce old fashioned glass with ice. In a cocktail shaker, moisten the sugar cube with just enough water to saturate it, then crush. Blend with the whiskey and bitters. Add a few cubes of ice and stir to chill. Discard the ice from the first glass and pour in the Herbsaint. Coat the inside of the entire glass, pouring out the excess. Strain the whiskey into the Herbsaint coated glass. Twist the lemon peel over the glass so that the lemon oil cascades into the drink, then rub the peel over the rim of the glass; do not put the twist in the drink.
Interesting note: the original was made not with Herbsaint but with Absinthe, now illegal in the US and many other countries. Herbsaint has a similar aniase flavor, but none of the thujone or wormwood of the absinthe.
A federal judge ruled that the Trump administration likely violated the reporter's Fifth Amendment rights when it stripped his press credentials earlier this month.
- Acosta will be allowed to return to the White House on Friday.
- The judge described the ruling as narrow, and didn't rule one way or the other on violations of the First Amendment.
- The case is still open, and the administration may choose to appeal the ruling.
Progressive America would be half as big, but twice as populated as its conservative twin.
- America's two political tribes have consolidated into 'red' and 'blue' nations, with seemingly irreconcilable differences.
- Perhaps the best way to stop the infighting is to go for a divorce and give the two nations a country each
- Based on the UN's partition plan for Israel/Palestine, this proposal provides territorial contiguity and sea access to both 'red' and 'blue' America
The definition of a kilogram will now be fixed to Planck's constant, a fundamental part of quantum physics.
- The new definition of a kilogram is based on a physical constant in quantum physics.
- Unlike the current definition of a kilogram, this measurement will never change.
- Scientists also voted to update the definitions of several other measurements in physics.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.