If a god created the universe could he have created a universe that did not appear to be beautifully well designed? Presumably if the universe is an example of good design then it must be possible for it to be designed badly otherwise there is no real trick to it is there? For it to be claimed that the universe was designed there must be a near infinite number of choices a designer could make at each stage in order to arrive at the preferred design. Creationists may assert that the design of the universe is as perfect as its designer. This means that out of all the possible designs the one that we’ve ended up with is the best (shades of Dr Pangloss and Leibniz). If god by his nature could not have produced a less than perfect product then his choices were inevitable and that’s a contradiction.
If the universe was created and evolved through natural laws they would have to actually work or it wouldn’t get started and wouldn’t reach the at least relative stability that it has. If the universe is self-creating and contains its own inherent mechanisms for evolving it may well be the only way that this could happen.
It seems that either way what we’ve got is the best of all possible worlds.
Pfizer's partnerships strengthen their ability to deliver vaccines in developing countries.
- Community healthcare workers face many challenges in their work, including often traveling far distances to see their clients
- Pfizer is helping to drive the UN's sustainable development goals through partnerships.
- Pfizer partnered with AMP and the World Health Organization to develop a training program for healthcare workers.
A new study shows choosing to be active is a lot of work for our brains. Here are some ways to make it easier.
There's no shortage of science suggesting that exercise is good for your mental as well as your physical health — and yet for many of us, incorporating exercise into our daily routines remains a struggle. A new study, published in the journal Neuropsychologia, asks why. Shouldn't it be easier to take on a habit that is so good for us?
There is no doubt that the historical Jesus, the man who was executed by the Roman State in the first century CE, was a brown-skinned, Middle Eastern Jew.
I grew up in a Christian home, where a photo of Jesus hung on my bedroom wall. I still have it. It is schmaltzy and rather tacky in that 1970s kind of way, but as a little girl I loved it. In this picture, Jesus looks kind and gentle, he gazes down at me lovingly. He is also light-haired, blue-eyed, and very white.
The stories we tell define history. So who gets the mic in America?
- History is written by lions. But it's also recorded by lambs.
- In order to understand American history, we need to look at the events of the past as more prismatic than the narrative given to us in high school textbooks.
- Including different voices can paint a more full and vibrant portrait of America. Which is why more walks of American life can and should be storytellers.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.