Courage. What does one think of when they hear this word? To some it is going above and beyond the call of duty for an important cause. To others it is facing one's fears and overcoming them. To me courage involves three characteristics: Faith, Strength, and Self-Sacrifice. Having faith means that one can overcome what they are facing if they believe in their beliefs. In order to have strength one needs to have faith because it is faith that gives someone their true inner strength. Then finally, self-sacrifice. Having this means that you are willing to go to great lengths in facing what needs to be overcome not only for yourself but for others. If any one of these in lacking, then a person does not have courage.
To me, this says a lot. I think that Field Marshall Manstein sums it up fairly well when he said "strength in character and inner fortitude are decisive factors."
To overcome the hardships in life takes a lot of courage. If you have a lot of courage, that says a lot about who you are.
Swipe right to make the connections that could change your career.
Swipe right. Match. Meet over coffee or set up a call.
No, we aren't talking about Tinder. Introducing Shapr, a free app that helps people with synergistic professional goals and skill sets easily meet and collaborate.
It's up to us humans to re-humanize our world. An economy that prioritizes growth and profits over humanity has led to digital platforms that "strip the topsoil" of human behavior, whole industries, and the planet, giving less and less back. And only we can save us.
- It's an all-hands-on-deck moment in the arc of civilization.
- Everyone has a choice: Do you want to try to earn enough money to insulate yourself from the world you're creating— or do you want to make the world a place you don't have to insulate yourself from?
Eight-dimensional octonions may hold the clues to solve fundamental mysteries.
- Physicists discover complex numbers called octonions that work in 8 dimensions.
- The numbers have been found linked to fundamental forces of reality.
- Understanding octonions can lead to a new model of physics.
Upload your mind? Here's a reality check on the Singularity.
- Though computer engineers claim to know what human consciousness is, many neuroscientists say that we're nowhere close to understanding what it is, or its source.
- Scientists are currently trying to upload human minds to silicon chips, or re-create consciousness with algorithms, but this may be hubristic because we still know so little about what it means to be human.
- Is transhumanism a journey forward or an escape from reality?
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.