Voice mail - I believe it is collusion between the major phone companies and corporations. You get automatically channeled into a system that on face value is designed to pre-screen the customer and direct them to the appropriate individual or answer center that specifically addresses their need(s).
They ask you to enter your name or account number, the last 4 os your social security number and often times much more (and you do), they then give you a directory to choose from (and you do) the entire process taking up to 7 minutes to complete. You quietly await for one of the specialist that you have been directed to answer the phone (often having to suffer through muzak or worst a plethora of advertisements)and lo-and-behold some one comes on the line ....and what is the first thing they ask for?
The same goddamn information you were required to get to them in the first place followed by the oh so familiar...."How may I help you?"
It was my belief that they funnelled me to you because you were THE individual thaat had the answers to my plight?!
No you say.....I have proof.
Some of us caught onto the process and immediately dialed "O" to get to a human voice and were once quickly directed to the appropriate place...but they caught on. dial "O" now and what do you get?
"I'm sorry but i did not understand that command..." back to square one.
What do you think? I think that there are some major kickbacks going on!
New research links urban planning and political polarization.
- Canadian researchers find that excessive reliance on cars changes political views.
- Decades of car-centric urban planning normalized unsustainable lifestyles.
- People who prefer personal comfort elect politicians who represent such views.
Progressive America would be half as big, but twice as populated as its conservative twin.
- America's two political tribes have consolidated into 'red' and 'blue' nations, with seemingly irreconcilable differences.
- Perhaps the best way to stop the infighting is to go for a divorce and give the two nations a country each
- Based on the UN's partition plan for Israel/Palestine, this proposal provides territorial contiguity and sea access to both 'red' and 'blue' America
Science and the squishiness of the human mind. The joys of wearing whatever the hell you want, and so much more.
- Why can't we have a human-sized cat tree?
- What would happen if you got a spoonful of a neutron star?
- Why do we insist on dividing our wonderfully complex selves into boring little boxes
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.