Skeptic44 has made the Kantian case for greater complexity creating a hierarchy of value. As with all his arguments he is persuasive. In many ways we define complexity so that our consciousness appears at the top of the tree. I am far from convinced that this is anything other than a homocentric illusion. People behave in complex ways, we hear the voice(s) in our heads and believe that free will is governing this complex behaviour. In fact we are just as driven by instinct and hormones as any other living thing. Our technology, religions, moral philosophy, poetry and art serve to dress up our actions to appear to be more than they are.
Imagine a random firing neurone in a human brain causes a cascade of thoughts, a butterfly effect if you will, it so happens that that brain is the President of the US who makes the decision to press the button and reduce the planet to an uninhabitable cinder. Doesn't that demonstrate how significant human thought can be as compared to say a slight chemical change in a single grass root in the middle of the prairie that causes the root to grow in one direction rather than another; after all the human decision can completely obliterate the plant decision? As far as the universe is concerned what happens on this tiny rock in the vastness of spacetime is irrelevant. The complexity of the act can only be decided by the terms you choose to define it in.
Swipe right to make the connections that could change your career.
Swipe right. Match. Meet over coffee or set up a call.
No, we aren't talking about Tinder. Introducing Shapr, a free app that helps people with synergistic professional goals and skill sets easily meet and collaborate.
It's up to us humans to re-humanize our world. An economy that prioritizes growth and profits over humanity has led to digital platforms that "strip the topsoil" of human behavior, whole industries, and the planet, giving less and less back. And only we can save us.
- It's an all-hands-on-deck moment in the arc of civilization.
- Everyone has a choice: Do you want to try to earn enough money to insulate yourself from the world you're creating— or do you want to make the world a place you don't have to insulate yourself from?
Eight-dimensional octonions may hold the clues to solve fundamental mysteries.
- Physicists discover complex numbers called octonions that work in 8 dimensions.
- The numbers have been found linked to fundamental forces of reality.
- Understanding octonions can lead to a new model of physics.
Upload your mind? Here's a reality check on the Singularity.
- Though computer engineers claim to know what human consciousness is, many neuroscientists say that we're nowhere close to understanding what it is, or its source.
- Scientists are currently trying to upload human minds to silicon chips, or re-create consciousness with algorithms, but this may be hubristic because we still know so little about what it means to be human.
- Is transhumanism a journey forward or an escape from reality?
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.