compensatory education, personal responsibility
The people of California have disinvested in the state's children. Why? They don't like them. There is a thin thread of racism that has pushed taxpayers into renouncing their responsibilities for the future of the state. How can the children be made more likeable so that the voters become enthusiastic about supporting them? Answers: compensatory education and personal responsibility. The children in the public school system must rise to an acceptable level of academic performance through additional education. The children must also be held responsible for their poor performance. If they receive an F or a D in a course, they should "repay" the taxpayers for their poor effort by either paying for the course failed or working in the school a certain number of hours to "pay" through their labor for the cost of the F or D that the taxpayers must bear. Both parties: taxpayers and children must take responsibility for the future of the state. We can't give up on our own people and import university students and future leaders. This seems to be the current policy. It is wrong-headed.
Swipe right to make the connections that could change your career.
Swipe right. Match. Meet over coffee or set up a call.
No, we aren't talking about Tinder. Introducing Shapr, a free app that helps people with synergistic professional goals and skill sets easily meet and collaborate.
A NASA astronomer explains how astronauts dispose of their, uh, dark matter.
- When nature calls in micro-gravity, astronauts must answer. Space agencies have developed suction-based toilets – with a camera built in to ensure all the waste is contained before "flushing".
- Yes, there have been floaters in space. The early days of space exploration were a learning curve!
- Amazingly, you don't need gravity to digest food. Peristalsis, the process by which your throat and intestines squeeze themselves, actually moves food and water through your digestive system without gravity at all.
She met mere mortals with and without the Vatican's approval.
- For centuries, the Virgin Mary has appeared to the faithful, requesting devotion and promising comfort.
- These maps show the geography of Marian apparitions – the handful approved by the Vatican, and many others.
- Historically, Europe is where most apparitions have been reported, but the U.S. is pretty fertile ground too.
A growing body of research shows promising signs that the keto diet might be able to improve mental health.
- The keto diet is known to be an effective tool for weight loss, however its effects on mental health remain largely unclear.
- Recent studies suggests that the keto diet might be an effective tool for treating depression, and clearing up so-called "brain fog," though scientists caution more research is necessary before it can be recommended as a treatment.
- Any experiments with the keto diet are best done in conjunction with a doctor, considering some people face problems when transitioning to the low-carb diet.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.