A senior official told a Turkish newspaper that audio recordings prove that missing Saudi journalist was murdered in the Saudi consulate.
- Jamal Khashoggi was killed just moments after entering the Saudi consulate on Oct. 2., according to the anonymous senior official.
- News of the alleged tapes broke the same day U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo met with Saudi officials about the disappearance.
- President Donald Trump has reportedly requested copies of the tapes.
Canadians who've been caught with 30 grams of marijuana or less will soon be able to request those charges to be expunged.
- Canada legalized recreational marijuana on Wednesday, October 17.
- The new laws allow citizens to carry up to 30 grams and grow up to four plants.
- It's currently unclear how the nation will conduct the pardoning process, though one official suggested it could be as simple as submitting a form.
Hawking, who died in March, answers questions like "Is there a God?" and "Is time travel possible?" in his final book, which is available today.
- Hawking's final book is geared toward a popular audience.
- Each of the book's 10 chapters is posed as a question, such as "How did it all begin?"
- Hawking claims there is no God, time travel could be possible and intelligent aliens exist.
The Ocean Cleanup's System 001 is being deployed at Great Pacific Garbage Patch.
- The U-shaped System 001 is designed to collect massive amounts of garbage.
- A boat will come collect the garbage every couple of months.
- This is the first full-scale, real-world test of the foundation's technology, which has been criticized by skeptics.
Stephen Johnson is a St. Louis-based writer whose work has appeared in U.S. News & World Report, The Huffington Post, Eleven Magazine, Cheapism, Vox Magazine, The Missourian and other publications.