That's one way to reduce the national debt.
- The tongue-in-cheek petition, whose stated aim is to reduce the national debt, has been signed more than 8,600 times as of Tuesday.
- Selling Montana, the fourth largest state in the country, would constitute the largest land deal since the Louisiana Purchase.
- The national debt is often a source of concern for individuals, but the chances of the U.S. defaulting on its debts are relatively low — in part because the bulk of the national debt is owned by the American public.
Can learning about the great white shark help protect us from cancer?
- Scientists have mapped the entire genome of the great white shark.
- The team found genetic adaptations that seem to help the fish preserve and repair its genome, clues that may help us better understand why sharks rarely get cancer.
- The team also identified several gene pathways that might also help explain the fish's extraordinary wound-healing capabilities.
The keto diet can help with weight loss, but at what cost?
- In addition to weight loss, there are a few well-known side effects of the keto diet, some of which can be unpleasant.
- Some side effects of the keto diet are bound to occur, though others only happen when the diet is implemented poorly.
- The keto diet doesn't have to lead to a host of negative side effects, but anyone considering undertaking the diet over the long term should be especially careful.
Are Americans growing more skeptical of promises of investment from massive (digital) companies?
- Amazon had spent years on a controversial campaign to select cities where it plans to build giant corporate campuses.
- In November, the retail giant announced plans to build its so-called HQ2 in Virginia and New York.
- On Thursday, Amazon cancelled its plans to build in New York following backlash from local lawmakers, union leaders, and protestors.
Stephen Johnson is a St. Louis-based writer whose work has appeared in U.S. News & World Report, The Huffington Post, Eleven Magazine, Cheapism, Vox Magazine, The Missourian and other publications.