Phone usage was found to have similar reinforcing tendencies as eating or doing drugs.
- An experiment out of Buffalo shows that students are willing to put off eating in order to look at their phones.
- The subjects were willing to pay ever increasing amounts of money to use their phones even as the price of food remained the same.
- The finding doesn't prove phone addiction is a thing, but it makes it possible.
A study out of Finland shows us that sex is sex and robots are robots, and the overlap is confusing.
- A new study from Finland suggests that people view sex with a robot more kindly than they view sex with a human prostitute.
- The effect is maintained even when the customer is married.
- While the exact causes of these opinions remain unknown, several proposals have been made. They may well serve as ethical guides going forward.
The Dalai Lama is important, so important that he might decide not to come back after his next death.
- Tibetan monks from all over the world are scheduled to visit India to discuss the issues related to the next reincarnation of the Dalai Lama.
- Some, including the Dalai Lama himself, have questioned if the institution should be continued.
- The final decision will have far reaching effects, since China is unlikely to let the monks have the last word on the matter.
Should all ideas see daylight?
- A trio of respected philosophers have decided to launch a peer reviewed journal that would allow for anonymous submissions.
- If successful, the journal could allow for important ideas that might lead to threats or harm to the author to join the debate and promote discussion.
- Critics ask if this is needed, and warn of giving dangerous people a safe space to publish horrific ideas.