A new report warns about the increasing likelihood of international conflicts over water.
- A study finds that serious conflicts over water are going to arise around the globe.
- The 5 hotspots identified by the paper include areas of the Nile, Ganges-Brahmaputra, Indus, Tigris-Euphrates, and Colorado rivers.
- It's still possible to change course if we are prepared to address the effects of climate change.
NASA research finds a new direction in searching for signs of life in the Universe.
- NASA-funded research says retinal, not chlorophyll, gave the early Earth its color
- The two pigments co-evolved but retinal came first
- We should be looking for retinal-based life throughout the Universe
A buzzworthy study looks at the strange actions of bees.
- Scientists recorded the activities of bees during the 2017 total solar eclipse.
- They found that bees completely stopped flying and buzzing.
- A team of professional and citizen scientists was involved.
The legendary DARPA tests technology that lets soldiers control drones with their minds.
- Military researchers have been testing implants that allow the operator to control drones with thoughts.
- The tech translates thinking into code.
- More development is necessary.
Paul is a writer and filmmaker. His award-winning films like "Moses on the Mesa" have played at film festivals around the world. Recently, he finished directing "The Caveman of Atomic City" - a feature documentary about a unique philosopher who lived in a cave on the territory of the Los Alamos National Lab, the birthplace of nuclear weapons. Paul is currently working on a collection of science fiction stories and as well as preparing to shoot his first narrative feature. Paul writes about transformative scientific research, history, futurism, philosophy and current events. You can follow his work at paulratnerimagines.com, on Instagram, Facebook and on Twitter. Paul also curates the "Moses on the Mesa" facebook page, which is one of the premier online resources for rare historical images of Native Americans.