There might be hope for our oceans, thanks to one clumsy moment in a coral tank.
- David Vaughan at the Mote Laboratory is growing coral 40 times faster than in the wild.
- It typically takes coral 25 to 75 years to reach sexual maturity. With a new coral fragmentation method, it takes just 3.
- Scientists and conservationists plan to plant 100,000 pieces of coral around the Florida Reef Tract by 2019 and millions more around the world in the years to come.
Time to build a Corellian shipyard?
- Two Harvard researchers recently speculated that an object that entered into our solar system was an interstellar probe.
- The odds that this is what happened are quite literally astronomical.
- If humans are to build spaceships to chase after the probe, we'll need to come to a greater understanding of how to manipulate dark energy that exists in the universe.
Comedy, A.I.-style. Our roving reporter, Evan Fleischer, went into The Laughing Room and here's what happened
- I tried to make a piece of Artificial Intelligence laugh.
- The A.I. was powered by a library of transcripts by stand-up comedians.
- It has been hypothesized that social laughter releases an opioid that helps solidify long-term human relationships.
The closer together we get, the argument goes, the healthier we'll be.