Christians and logic
or the impossibility of Jesus. Is there a point to debating a cult that refuses to accept the tenets of logic, which proves their god cannot exist in the form they posit?
Christians assert their god can do anything? For those of us not under the spell of the invisible sky wizard of love, this is a big claim. Given that extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence what is the value of a debate when Jesus adherants cannot admit logic into the equation.
For the benefit of newer contributors the denied logic is revealed in what is known as the paradox. Put simply Xtians must put their god beyond logic in order to maintain belief. Logic proves that such a god as Jesus in the form most often offered cannot exist. Follow the bouncing ball......
Q: Can Jesus create something over which he has no control?
A: Yes, he can do anything. Then he is not all powerful if there is something he can't control.
A: No. Then he is not all powerful.
That's it.... a simple exercise in logic, known to Greek and Roman philosophers over 2500 years ago is enough to deny the possibility of an omnsicient, omnipotent god such as Jesus.
Is there any point debating with cultists who cannot accept simple rules of logic?
Here's the science of black holes, from supermassive monsters to ones the size of ping-pong balls.
- There's more than one way to make a black hole, says NASA's Michelle Thaller. They're not always formed from dead stars. For example, there are teeny tiny black holes all around us, the result of high-energy cosmic rays slamming into our atmosphere with enough force to cram matter together so densely that no light can escape.
- CERN is trying to create artificial black holes right now, but don't worry, it's not dangerous. Scientists there are attempting to smash two particles together with such intensity that it creates a black hole that would live for just a millionth of a second.
- Thaller uses a brilliant analogy involving a rubber sheet, a marble, and an elephant to explain why different black holes have varying densities. Watch and learn!
- Bonus fact: If the Earth became a black hole, it would be crushed to the size of a ping-pong ball.
Protected animals are feared to be headed for the black market.
In a breakthrough for nuclear fusion research, scientists at China's Experimental Advanced Superconducting Tokamak (EAST) reactor have produced temperatures necessary for nuclear fusion on Earth.
- The EAST reactor was able to heat hydrogen to temperatures exceeding 100 million degrees Celsius.
- Nuclear fusion could someday provide the planet with a virtually limitless supply of clean energy.
- Still, scientists have many other obstacles to pass before fusion technology becomes a viable energy source.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.