Celebrity Shoe Thrower Gets New Footwear
While the "Baghdad clogger," Muntazer al-Zaidi, awaits his final verdict for throwing two size 10 loafers at President Bush last month, a monument in his honor has been erected in Tikrit. The small statue, appropriately of a large bronze shoe, is one indication of the groundswell of support the Iraqi journalist has attracted since his action. On Facebook, al-Zaidi has 19,091 fans rallying in his defense and the Free al-Zaidi web shop asks customers to "Stand up to a pathetic corporate sycophant and parasite who has catastrophically made the world a worse place for our children." (They're referring to Bush, we presume.) The 29-year-old Al-Zaidi is staying in an undisclosed Baghdad jail at the moment as he awaits a hearing. Rumors have circulated that he has been tortured since the shoe incident. Do Big Thinkers foresee a fair trial for Al-Zaidi?
Pfizer's partnerships strengthen their ability to deliver vaccines in developing countries.
- Community healthcare workers face many challenges in their work, including often traveling far distances to see their clients
- Pfizer is helping to drive the UN's sustainable development goals through partnerships.
- Pfizer partnered with AMP and the World Health Organization to develop a training program for healthcare workers.
Orangutans join humans and bees in a very exclusive club
- Orangutan mothers wait to sound a danger alarm to avoid tipping off predators to their location
- It took a couple of researchers crawling around the Sumatran jungle to discover the phenomenon
- This ability may come from a common ancestor
The definition of a kilogram will now be fixed to Planck's constant, a fundamental part of quantum physics.
- The new definition of a kilogram is based on a physical constant in quantum physics.
- Unlike the current definition of a kilogram, this measurement will never change.
- Scientists also voted to update the definitions of several other measurements in physics.
Journaling can help you materialize your ambitions.
- Organizing your thoughts can help you plan and achieve goals that might otherwise seen unobtainable.
- The Bullet Journal method, in particular, can reduce clutter in your life by helping you visualize your future.
- One way to view your journal might be less of a narrative and more of a timeline of decisions.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.