Shinya Yamanaka, a Japanese scientist, has shown that it is possible to "reprogram" adult skin cells by manipulating four genes that appears to give them the versatility of embryonic tissue. These induced stem cells are NOT harvested from human embryos. Now, what was the reasoning behind the ban on stem cell research again? What are the newly issued "seven deadly sins"? Something about gene manipulation? How much longer can the religious delay cures for disease? Why?
A new study estimated the untapped potential of wind energy across Europe.
- A new report calculated how much electricity Europe could generate if it built onshore wind farms on all of its exploitable land.
- The results indicated that European onshore wind farms could supply the whole world with electricity from now until 2050.
- Wind farms come with a few complications, but the researchers noted that their study was meant to highlight the untapped potential of the renewable energy source in Europe.
French newspapers report that the trial hasn't lived up to expectations.
- The French government initially invested in a rural solar roadway in 2016.
- French newspapers report that the trial hasn't lived up to expectations.
- Solar panel "paved" roadways are proving to be inefficient and too expensive.
You want one. Now you may be able to survive one.
Photo credit: Jie Zhao / Getty contributor
- Cats live in a quarter of Western households.
- Allergies to them are common and can be dangerous.
- A new approach targets the primary trouble-causing allergen.