Can the loss of family destroy an empire?
Where have all the families gone, and how will this affect the U.S.?
Divorce - probably the scariest word for a family to hear, and probably the hardest to survive
The divorce rate in America is somewhere around 1 in every 2 families of first time spouses separates. Any remarriages between either spouse and the number goes up. How has this dynamic shift from two parent homes to one parent homes affected America? Have we even seen the effects of this phenomenon yet? Or will the repercussions of single parent homes not be felt until the next generation?
The youth of today already seem somewhat disinterested and lost. Basically left to wander on their own, this seems to be exactly they have done. Already we are hearing of a failing educational system, and a higher teen pregnancy rate than ever before. These issues may just be the tip of the iceberg. Sadly, most of the parents raising the children of this generation won't even be around to try to clean up the mess that they have so selfishly created.
So here's my question - Is this just another reason America may be on the decline? Or is this issue more important than that? If it is, then isn't there anything that can be done about it?
- The meaning of the word 'confidence' seems obvious. But it's not the same as self-esteem.
- Confidence isn't just a feeling on your inside. It comes from taking action in the world.
- Join Big Think Edge today and learn how to achieve more confidence when and where it really matters.
- Prejudice is typically perpetrated against 'the other', i.e. a group outside our own.
- But ageism is prejudice against ourselves — at least, the people we will (hopefully!) become.
- Different generations needs to cooperate now more than ever to solve global problems.
The controversial herbicide is everywhere, apparently.
- U.S. PIRG tested 20 beers and wines, including organics, and found Roundup's active ingredient in almost all of them.
- A jury on August 2018 awarded a non-Hodgkin's lymphoma victim $289 million in Roundup damages.
- Bayer/Monsanto says Roundup is totally safe. Others disagree.
The team caught a glimpse of a process that takes 18,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 years.
- In Italy, a team of scientists is using a highly sophisticated detector to hunt for dark matter.
- The team observed an ultra-rare particle interaction that reveals the half-life of a xenon-124 atom to be 18 sextillion years.
- The half-life of a process is how long it takes for half of the radioactive nuclei present in a sample to decay.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.