California allows medical marijuana but employers can fire you for using it.
How is it that no one has said a word about this? The supreme court has determined that people using marijuana for medical purposes are not protected from being fired from their employer because it is in their system. According to the supreme court decision, people should only be using medical marijuana if they are unemployed.
So many people suffer from chronic pain day in and day out, some of these people cannot take painkillers for long periods of time without dependence or intestinal problems. Use of marijuana for chronic pain works extremely well and only has mild side effects when compared to opiates.
Other then pain medical marijuana is also used to treat many more conditions such as: depression, glaucoma, eating disorders, insomnia, nausea, and others. Doctors are most likely to prescribe the drug that works best for each patient. Medical marijuana is not always the best for each situation, but if a doctor determines that marijuana is best for your situation then shouldn't that patient be protected from termination, withen reason.
In a breakthrough for nuclear fusion research, scientists at China's Experimental Advanced Superconducting Tokamak (EAST) reactor have produced temperatures necessary for nuclear fusion on Earth.
- The EAST reactor was able to heat hydrogen to temperatures exceeding 100 million degrees Celsius.
- Nuclear fusion could someday provide the planet with a virtually limitless supply of clean energy.
- Still, scientists have many other obstacles to pass before fusion technology becomes a viable energy source.
Military recruits are supposed to be assessed to see whether they're fit for service. What happens when they're not?
- During the Vietnam War, Robert McNamara began a program called Project 100,000.
- The program brought over 300,000 men to Vietnam who failed to meet minimum criteria for military service, both physically and mentally.
- Project 100,000 recruits were killed in disproportionate numbers and fared worse after their military service than their civilian peers, making the program one of the biggest—and possibly cruelest—mistakes of the Vietnam War.
The 116th Congress is set to break records in term of diversity among its lawmakers, though those changes are coming almost entirely from Democrats.
- Women and nonwhite candidates made record gains in the 2018 midterms.
- In total, almost half of the newly elected Congressional representatives are not white men.
- Those changes come almost entirely from Democrats; Republican members-elect are all white men except for one woman.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.