You Say, 'Tomato,' I Say, 'Slave Wages.' Wait, What?!
A primary ingredient in most fast food sandwiches across the country (after the meat and the bun, of course) is one of the only produce items that can be sourced from fair food farms: Tomatoes.
Which tomato? Grown where, and picked by whom?
It's possible for supermarket chains and fast food companies to buy their tomatoes from fair food sources — farms in Southern Florida, near Naples.
The Coalition Of Immokalee Workers (CIW) makes sure that farmworkers there are treated fairly, and they also negotiate for an extra penny or two per pound of tomatoes picked and sold, so the farmworkers can make a decent — dare I say "living" — wage.
Here's a trailer for the movie "Food Chains" that was made about these farmworkers and what they've accomplished.
It features Eva Longoria, Eric Schlosser (author, Fast Food Nation), Robert Kennedy, Jr., and many others.
Some of the biggest fast food chains and grocery retailers have signed on and are buying their tomatoes Fair Food Program certified. For more on those that have and have not, take a look at the CIW's page.
The Fair Food Program is catching on with other fresh fruits and vegetables, too, such as strawberries.
If you see this logo:
That means it's Fair Food Program certified. Look for it.
And here's a clip featuring the director of Food Chains, Sanjay Rawal, about the farmworkers who bring tomatoes and other produce to our tables.
Thumbnail image public domain.
Swipe right to make the connections that could change your career.
Swipe right. Match. Meet over coffee or set up a call.
No, we aren't talking about Tinder. Introducing Shapr, a free app that helps people with synergistic professional goals and skill sets easily meet and collaborate.
This economy has us in survival mode, stressing out our bodies and minds.
- Economic hardship is linked to physical and psychological illness, resulting in added healthcare expenses people can't afford.
- The gig economy – think Uber, Lyft, TaskRabbit, Handy – is marketed as a 'be your own boss' revolution, but it can be dehumanizing and dangerous; every worker is disposable.
- The cooperative business model can help reverse wealth inequality.
Meanwhile, Spaniards are the least likely to say their culture is superior to others.
- Survey by Pew Research Center shows great variation in chauvinism across Europe.
- Eight most chauvinist countries are in the east, and include Russia.
- British much more likely than French (and slightly more likely than Germans) to say their culture is "superior" to others.
A new study explores how certain personality traits affect individuals' attitudes on obesity in others.
- The study compared personality traits and obesity views among more than 3,000 mothers.
- The results showed that the personality traits neuroticism and extraversion are linked to more negative views and behaviors related to obesity.
- People who scored high in conscientiousness are more likely to experience "fat phobia.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.